Basset Hounds Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Jackson
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a great 8 year old male who is exhibiting food aggression. He is a rescue that I’ve had for 5 years. He was very excited one morning and I wanted to move him And his treat ball off sofa and when I reached for it he bit me and actually came after me growling and teeth bearing.
This morning he threw up and was very upset when I tried to clean it before he ate it again and bit me AGAIN! Two trips to urgent care in 2 months. he unfortunately ate two slippers and a piece of blanket while I was gone last week and the blanket was in the vomit. Needless to say I jumped back and he ate the blanket piece again. We’re at the emergency vet now to see if he can throw it and whatever else is in there Has anyone dealt with severe food aggression issues successfully? I need advice. I love him but I cannot keep getting bitten. He’s never done this before. He has show some mild food aggression in the past but not yo this degree.

·
Registered
9,847 Posts
no agression get better pn its own only worse unless you actively work on it. Unfortunately because he is doing damage it is much harder to get a good outcome with behavior modification, Food aggresion like an other resource guarding in normal addaptive dog behavior, Keeping in mind normal does not mean acceptable, But rather frpn a genetic and evootionary possition retaining and acquiring resources is effential to survival. You can correct and minimizr resource guarding with behavior modification. Ther best resource on this is Jean Donaldson's Mine! A Practical Guide to Resource Guarding in Dogs: Jean Donaldson: 9780970562944: Amazon.com: Books

Resource guarding however is not your Issue however What your issue is the dog has no bite unhibition, i,e, when he bites he does damage. the problem is this can not be reliable corrected at his age. Bite inhibiton must be taught biget inhibtion general before 20 week of age for it to be reliable This dog is alway going to have that potential danger lurking You have disc overed why he was a rescue in the first place, you must decide if you can mange this risk to your self and other withoit causing injury or come up with a "Final solution" that does not unfairly burden another individual unfairly liker you have be unfairly burdened by getting a dog that was not properly investugated on bite inhibition..

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
I hate to suggest this but years ago now, I knew of a Basset owner whose hound all of a sudden, having got up on the table, lunged at her doing quite a lot of damage. This continued in various situations, until finally her vet diagnosed a brain tumour and the poor boy had to be given peace. He'd been absolutely fine up to when this started happening. It might be worth getting him checked by your vet.

·
Registered
Jackson
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I had to make the terrible decision to euthanize him. I was truly afraid for my other dog and myself. I feared the next time could be much worse. And he was a breeder dog when I rescued him and most likely mistreated and over bred. He had so many sarcomas all over his body. When I explained to the vet she agreed he was unpredictably viscous and making the right decision. I am devastated but I believe I’ve done the right thing.

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
I had to make the terrible decision to euthanize him. I was truly afraid for my other dog and myself. I feared the next time could be much worse. And he was a breeder dog when I rescued him and most likely mistreated and over bred. He had so many sarcomas all over his body. When I explained to the vet she agreed he was unpredictably viscous and making the right decision. I am devastated but I believe I’ve done the right thing.
I'm so sorry to read this but fwiw, think you made the right decision. It would have been living with a time-bomb and had he gone for somebody else, a child even, you'd have been in dire trouble.

So sad but you gave him a good life with you.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts