Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I use frontline on all my other dogs and the do not have fleas. Barney was treated with frontline and he still has fleas. I have used comfortis on him bombed my house and every night I go over with him with a flea comb so and kill all the fleas I can get in 1/2 hour. He is not infested but I am still getting fleas off of him and the fleas are all at different stages in their life. He was does 2 weeks ago with frontline so I am nervous to dose him with something else again. Does anyone have any advice on what they would do. the fleas are visible last time a woman saw one on him in town and flipped out about it. I am going to a dog show in pennsylvania next week so I was hoping that I could get rid of them by then.

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
Feeling your pain. Same issue after 2-3 weeks on Frontline, so at that point, I usually give him a flea bath that has Permethrin in it. OK to do w/Frontline, but not ok to do w/Advantix (also has Permethrin-- then it would be too much Permethrin), because Frontline has different compound from Permethrin in it.

And washing all his beddings frequently... i think i have 50 bites total from Worm's fleas...

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I probably pick off with the comb 10-15 a night it gives me great pleasure to squish those little pests. The don't seem to bother him though one. of m doxies is highl allergic so even if one jumps one her she will start pulling out clumps of fur I have heard that frontline is not working as well anymore. I think I will tr a bath I just don't want to keep giving him pills I get nervous he is just a baby. I just wish the would stay hidden in public.

·
Registered
697 Posts
We use the advantage multi and are the only people in the neighbourhood that have not had flea problems this summer. [our nextdoor neighbour uses frontline and has had terrible issues] We do also treat the yard for fleas and ticks and Henry wears a tick collar. Maybe your vet will do as ours does and pricematch internet prices, that meant we got 6 months for $70 which helps. I hope that helps you a little for the future
Vx

·
Registered
12,943 Posts
I use frontline
If not doing so you want to iuse frontline plus not frontline frontline plus has a growth regulator that is effective on keeping eggs from hatching and larvaea from reaching the pupae stage. Keep in mind front line only works on adult feleas not all stages. when you have a infestation fleas leg egg that hatch a various time allow for reinfection. Frontline is not an instant killer so the fact that not all the fleas are dead means it is ineffective it just takes time You may want to look at cleaning beding vaccumaing thouroughly the wole house with a hepa filter vac etc.

·
Registered
972 Posts
I've found that frontline...sucks. In all it's forms. The only one that works consistently (but is deadly to cats...so keep them separated for 24 hours after application) is advantix. All the frontlines, advantages,and advantix's are on their second solutions now, so they boast the "advantix II" title. Or plus, or whatever...regardless they each have different ingredients and this is the only one that is pretty consistent, in my opinion (and my flealess house agrees!)

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I did not know it did not kill all stages maybe that is why some of the big ones are dead when I pick them off. I have heard good things about advantix can I tr it even though he had frontline 2 weeks ago. I vacuum m whole first floor ever 2 days and wash all the floors on the first floor. We do have a dirt and granite basement very old house. I bombed down there. I also wash all my furniture slipcovers. His bedding is my bed and I have washed that. We are going to a dog show for 4 days and I don't want people freaking if the see fleas

·
Registered
12,943 Posts
I did not know it did not kill all stages maybe that is why some of the big ones are dead when I pick them off.
see Flea biology

I've found that frontline...sucks
I have not had the same experience and in studies it is much better than advantix on ticks advantix is only good for about two weeks on ticks. There is however many counterfiet products being sold so if the product was not purchased at the vet it is quite posible what you are using contain not fleasacide at all

IS YOUR FLEA CONTROL PRODUCT COUNTERFEIT?

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I know my mom has success with frontline but she was told it can take about 3 consecutive months of dosing it for it to be completely effective.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I think the fleas around here are immune to Frontline and Advantage.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Now the vet wants me to bomb my home. The fleas are only on barney and he is not totally infested. I worry about bombing or spraying my home because I have reptiles and they walk on the floors of m house. The said I could give him another dose of frontline but he only had one almost 3 weeks ago. The said I can not use advantix because if m cat rubbed against him it could kill her. I am in mass so flea season ends in the next month or two. I am afraid if I start spraying chemicals all over m home my reptiles would get sick from it . Maybe a capstar before I go and dose of frontline will e sufficient, I have not seen any fleas anywhere but on barney and they get on me when I am combing them out and squishing them.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
I don't have a problem with them usually ether only when my bassets use to stick there heads in a rabbit hole. But here are some places to look for natural controls, I got these from another forum http://fleabusterscom this girl was living in Florida and says this works really well, she claimed that when she left Florida after 5 years it was still working.

Here is another one http://animalconnection.com and then go to tips and tricks. And I think they talk about Diatomaceous Earth. I would think you can put that on your pup even if you use one of the chemicals. They say only use food grade not the kind you get at the garden center which is what I have and have used around my house.

·
Registered
12,943 Posts
They say only use food grade not the kind you get at the garden center which is what I have and have used around my house.
the pool filter grade would be much more effective because it is heat treated and has much sharper edges however it is a known carcinogin if iinhalled like asbestos so not someting you want in the aiir round the house,

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
We went to the vet today the gave him comfortis needless to say there are alot of dying fleas jumping ship at the moment.

·
Registered
972 Posts
haven't tried comfortis before...but i must admit i'm surprised the vet perscribed it since he's having tummy/intestine issues.
Each flea killer is a different chemical combination that affects the blood chemistry of the dog. While he sick, I would actually stick with flea baths, and borax (didn't read if that was safe for reptiles or not yet) on the carpet.
If you have fish, or bird, i know you CANNOT bomb. The birds are super sensitive, and the residue gets into the fish water. I would assume it wouldn't be as safe for reptiles either...especially frogs since they absorb things through their skin.
(don't know what critter you have :)
If barney is the only one harrassed by fleas right now, i wouldn't keep him on the oral flea killer... : )
Just my opinion though. Is the vet trying to sell you the flea bomb? I'd keep that costly aspect in mind too..they're helpful, but their also out to make a buck.

As for advantix, like i said, it IS deadly to cats. But after 12-24 hours (i always waited 24) it is absorbed into the skin of the dog, and the cat is safe. I would just put my cat in the other room for the night....this worked for almost a year, while we had our cat (she didn't die, my chiropractor adopted her *lol*) bowser and the cat would wrestle, and play, and we never had any problems, but i always made sure he stayed away from her after application.
She also never went near his bed.

Okay, well there's a few of my opinions! : )

(btw we have fish, birds, reptiles, and insects *lol* so far we are flea free with advantix, and have been!)

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
They suggested premis ? spray but with my reptiles I am not risking it I have a tegu that free roams during the day like a dog and he is always flicking his tongue on the ground smelling things. I already gave him the comfortis it is oral b prescription only and lasts for a month. I think the concern is the fleas can also cause other problems but they were driving him crazy. It was giardia. I am not used to having anything wrong with my dogs so I just listened to the vet even though i am always saying you should research and not just blindly do what a vet tells you. He is so young and I just wanted him to not have the fleas driving him crazy. He also had to have his vaccinations too.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts