Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A hot & humid hello from my 4 month basset Tamarind and I in The Bahamas

Yesterday I bought her a flea collar just to hold her until I get the good stuff at the end of the week and almost immediately, like within a half hour she was rolling around everywhere, scratching her face and crying. Her face was all inflamed and inflated. Poor puppy had an allergic reaction to it. I removed it, threw it away and bathed her off & gave her a 25mg of benadryl (of course I called the vet and that is what she recommended) Her face was fine in the morning....but I guess what I'm asking if any have you experienced this with your dogs and does this mean I should stay away from flea collars? Would this mean that she is allergic to the flea & tick liquid too?

Thanks!

·
Registered
12,943 Posts
Flea and tick collar along with topical prefentitive are simply pesticide and as such they may cause skin irratation at may but often is not an allergic reaction. The thing do to is find out exactly what the active ingredient in the flea collar are and make sure to avoid those in a topical. Keep in most of the time they are completely different ingredients but pyrethrins are sometimes found in both and known to cause such reactions in some dogs that would be my quess. I would give a topical like bayer advantic a pass if that is the case because it contains pyrethrins as well where as frontline plus and the generic equivelents do not.

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
Flea collars are pretty much useless, we've had plenty of dogs come in for grooming wearing them that had fleas anyways. And reactions are not uncommon. I never recommend them. In my experience it's best to just get the drops from the vet (I tried the ones from the store and they weren't effective). With 11 dogs, I don't mess around when it comes to fleas.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Flea and tick collar along with topical prefentitive are simply pesticide and as such they may cause skin irratation at may but often is not an allergic reaction. The thing do to is find out exactly what the active ingredient in the flea collar are and make sure to avoid those in a topical. Keep in most of the time they are completely different ingredients but pyrethrins are sometimes found in both and known to cause such reactions in some dogs that would be my quess. I would give a topical like bayer advantic a pass if that is the case because it contains pyrethrins as well where as frontline plus and the generic equivelents do not.
Thanks you for the post.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Flea collars are pretty much useless
Couldn't agree more. While they are, obviously, less expensive than the flea drops you can get from your vet, it's imperative that you give your dog(s) the best flea care you can. Fleas cause disease and can give your dog long-term problems.

With that said; it seems as though fleas have become immune to most of the flea meds around. :( I haven't found any on my basset this year but I did find one on my cocker. We had just been at a new groomer though (who we aren't using anymore) so that might explain it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts