Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ernest puppy is becoming the slinky of bassets. He is a happy puppy to go out and meet and greet his public, but when it comes time for a walk, he just can't be bothered. He's exceedingly active, I could throw kongy for 200 hours and he wouldn't stop chasing it, so its not like he's lethargic or anything.

He is prone to walk a bit and then flatten out. Roll over and want to play. As adorable as he is, and trust me, he gets lots of oohs and aahs when he does this, his mom needs to walk too.

He is amazing at his ability to also turn into jelly when I got to pick him up and start him back on the road to his walk.

I don't think its a warm/cold thing either.

What am I doing wrong here?

We're signed up for 6 weeks of puppy training/socialization starting on saturday, yipee!

lala

·
Registered
775 Posts
Copper is over a year and he still does. We went to my moms today and she has ducks and he could follow them for hours. When I got ready to leave apparently he wasn;t ready so he did the flat basset on the way to the car. My neices thought it was so funny and laughed and gave him belly rubs. It took a cookie to finally coax him in.

·
Registered
932 Posts
We always carry carry emergency cookies in case of flat basset. Sally won't go flat, but Daisy has been known to, and she weighs 53 pounds. Once my hubby had to go home and get the car. :roll:

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Today my TH and I took Ernest for a walk before dinner and he was a super upright basset. We went about five blocks and on the stretch before home he took off like a basset who knew dinner was about five houses away.

I wonder if he wants all walks to be a family activity?

I am a big fan of these LL Bean pullover tops for these reasons.
1.they are cheap and in cheerful colors
2. They have a great pocket for treats and a spare housekey
3. They are slobber proof.
Fitness Fleece Pullover

·
Registered
56 Posts
Flat Basset

When I was sixteen I had a basset puppy named Alice. With the leash on she made it to the end of the driveway before pulling the flat basset thing. My mother stuck her head out of the door and said "Bryan, are you taking your dog for a nap?"

Bryan
http://www.bryanwfields.com
Lunchbox and the Aliens, available Sept 19 (pre-order from Amazon)

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
There is a certain technique to walking a basset.

The problem starts often when the bassets wants to go in a different direction, which is most of the time.
Just pretend to let them get their way, but apply a slight pull on the leash so they actually do a U-turn without noticing.
They are manageable as long as they are moving.

They will normally slide backwards to peform the flat basset, pull up before they are halfway down - or the battle is lost.
A flat basset is very, very heavy.

·
Registered
932 Posts
When Daisy goes flat it's like she suddenly weighs 500 pounds and has sprouted suction cups from her under side.

·
Registered
511 Posts
If there is a canine equivilent to the mule it's the basset hound
That is so true. It's like trying to get a mule to move.

When it's time for Dozer to go back into his pen, he will drop to the ground. I can roll him over on his feet, but he won't stand up.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
He seems to be getting better. Today we went to the University to drop off books and to introduce Ernest to the concept of the lake, pebbles and the surface of the metal docks. He liked the oceanography building and we told him both of us had toiled in there for many years, I don't think he got it, but we thought he should know.

He loved it it all. He loved especially the little sticklebacks that are washing up this time of year. We had a lot of drop its happening.

He did go flat when I wanted to turn back, so he's definitely learning.

lala

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Definately a Basset trait. When Bogie does this, he's like a limp noodle.

Arooooos from Bogie!!

·
Registered
27 Posts
i

am glad to know there is a name for it we call it noodle dog because thats what my kids did when they were little and didnt want to be picked up and or moved so they would limp noodles to be harder to move, lulu is a master at this game espeically if she is laying on my head on my bed and i can trying to get her off me so i dont smother to death she goes limp and just lays there till i give up

J

·
0 Posts
There is nothing more humiliating than having your basset go flat, then go belly up, growling and snarling at you for daring to disturb them! The neighbors find it funny, at my expense I'm afraid.

You simply cannot 'pull' a basset, you must push! It took me a while to teach my husband the fine art of negotiating with a basset. José can slip out of any collar (hence the harness on walks), so I get behind his little rump and as I walk I tap him with my shins, to keep him moving!

I also try to keep José on the pavement on walks. Often with him, flatness is a possiblilty if it is warm out or if he is tired. If he can make his way over to a cool patch of grass, he is down before I even knew what hit me.

·
Registered
27 Posts
oh well glad to know this lol i have had to have the kids run home for the wagon or the stroller to get lulu home, i have picked her up and slung her over my shoulder and carried all 50 some lbs of her down the street now thats plain embrassing

S

·
0 Posts
I have hardwood floors, so when Snoopy goes flat I just push him around on the floor. He makes a great floor duster. Hahaha

·
Registered
19 Posts
My first bassett Shorty loved to walk in the trees by the pond and creek behind the house. If Shorty wasn't leashed he would take off and not come back for hours.

When we first started walking with the leash Shorty would want to go one way and I would want to (of course) go the opposite. Shorty would then pull the flat bassett move. So I did away with the leash and replaced it with a long dog chain. I would give Shorty about 5' of chain and keep the rest coiled in my hand.

When Shorty gave me a flat bassett, I would uncoil just enough chain to reach the nearest tree and chain him to it. I then walked just far enough so he couldn't see me. After 5-10 minutes I would go back and see if Shorty was ready to go my way. After a few times of this Shorty realized I was more stubborn than him and we went back to a regular leash.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Originally posted by SnoopyBear
I have hardwood floors, so when Snoopy goes flat I just push him around on the floor.  He makes a great floor duster.  Hahaha
Me too. I am thinking of having a swiffer especially made for him.

lala
:lol:

·
Registered
782 Posts
Snoopy, that's hilarious: A canine Swiffer. Francis definitely qualifies for that position.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts