Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We went on a walk this morning, our usual route to the beach. Stopped at the pier for treats and water for Annie and then continued on. But I went a different route on our way home...this was my mistake. It was a much longer route :( She made it about 4.5 miles and then...flat basset LOL. I gave her more water...treats....she went a few more feet...flat basset. At one point some ladies walked by and said "What a good doggie!" Ummmm...yeah she is, but we still have at least another mile to home :(

I ended up calling for someone to come pick us up. Here's a few pictures...more on the impending blog post, including the first Basset we have met in a looooong time :)

PS...Annie will be sleeping until further notice LOL.

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
Awww, Annie. Sleep well, Ms. Oakley, ya deserve it. i like your pic w/the pier behind you...!

i feel your pain. my person had me do a 5K walk... i almost flat basseted permanently too...
--Worm

·
Registered
12,947 Posts
i feel your pain. my person had me do a 5K walk... i almost flat basseted permanently too...
--Worm
Yikes what woosey basset you'al have become. Mine would go on 10 mile "Volksmarches" without prior conditioning and not a flat basset ever. Backpacking up to 18 mile a day but toughy would refuse to carry a pack Basset are suppose to be able to hunt all day.

I ended up calling for someone to come pick us up
a very bad presedent has been set. pretty soon Annie will be demanding Limo service to and from the beach. It is never a good idea to be to accomidating to flat basset as it means it is only going to happen more often.

·
Premium Member
792 Posts
Ha, you guys are too funny - thanks for the laugh - its much needed.:D

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
I do believe Annie has a sly look in her eye in the first picture.

Limo service, then a pool boy... when does it stop???

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
he human is training for a merry thon. he said something about 8 miles saturday. i got up with him. was ready to go. and then shut the DOOR in my face! the nerve.
i promise i could make it 3/4 mile without going flat. stoopid human.

·
Registered
762 Posts
This weekend we were up at Mt. St. Helens Visitor Center & I was hanging with PB in the parking lot. A car drove by, stopped, rolled down their windows & while laughing hysterically said, "That's the cutest speed bump we've ever seen!"

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
FWIW...when our towncar arrived to pick us up (read: mom's expedition), Annie actually didn't even want to get in LOL.

It wasn't until I pointed out that the chauffeur brought us mineral water and filet mignon that she decided it was ok to accept a ride. ;) (read: we got nothing but a ride home lol)

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
This weekend we were up at Mt. St. Helens Visitor Center & I was hanging with PB in the parking lot. A car drove by, stopped, rolled down their windows & while laughing hysterically said, "That's the cutest speed bump we've ever seen!"
How rooooooooouuuuuuuuuuuuuude!!! we are not speed bumps, i take offense to that..! but they saved themselves by saying u were cute.

Annie- very nice. ya deserve only da bestest.
--Worm

·
Registered
165 Posts
Hahaha! Speed bumps! That's great!

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Gandy went flat basset on the way back from Starbucks with my husband this morning. It's only 1/2 a block away. Disgraceful. I suspect he just didn't want to come home.

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
Gandy went flat basset on the way back from Starbucks with my husband this morning. It's only 1/2 a block away. Disgraceful. I suspect he just didn't want to come home.
Well, i learned something about my flat basset Worm here... he's not immobile at all when he flat bassets! apparently, when he flat bassets, it is when i am trying to take us in a direction that he DOES NOT WANT to go in, so he lays on the floor. as soon as i loosen the leash and walk towards him, he gets up off the floor and moves in the direction he wants to go in... what a sneaky thing, can you believe it?

at that point, i let him take a few steps in the direction HE wants to go, and then have him walk in the direction I want to go... and then we are on our merry way....

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
When Annie was a pup, she would also go flat when she realized we were on our way home from the park. She was a good 40lbs lighter then...and the park was 25 feet from our front door. So I could just pick her up and carry her if need be. Today's episode was quite different lol...58lbs a mile from home. No way was I about to try to carry her home LOL. How funny that would have looked to people driving by though. As it was, people were laughing at the human standing around while the cute basset hound was laying in the shade dripping drool like a sieve. :cool:

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Molly has a new thing. Instead the the flat basset she'd do when she knew we were going home, now she does the "death roll." Like she's rolling in something stinky, but there's nothing there. She does this as a form of protest. "No, Momma! We are not finished here!" I let her get it out of her system, wait it out and onward we go. I try to remain in charge...lol.

·
Registered
12,947 Posts
FWIW A basset normal reaction to stress or something it does not wnat to do is to stop and do nothing, a flat basset is just one of those manifestation. If it learns through experience it can get what it wants out of doing so it will become a more frequent experience. So flat basset on the return home when the basset want to stay longer is one such ,anifestation Wworm trying to dictate where to go is anouther If you want to avoid the problem the sokution is two fold. One is providing undesired consequence for the behavior that way it becomes less desirable to perform and the second is give the dog other more appropriate outlets to express it desires. In WWorms case for instance it is not always necesarry on a walk for the human to determine the path. On occassion give the dog the option of choosing the path for the basset that goes flat returning from a walk change it up walk past the house a couple time that way the dog is never sure if the walk is going to continue or is ending. In Annie's case many might think it cruel but this is how I would have handled it I would have found a spot I could securely tied the leash off where Annie had gone flat. but prevented her from getting injured by say getting out to the road etc. I would have give her a few to recover and continue on but if she refused I would have left her ther and continued walking I would go at least a couple block befor giving a peek back but if a typical basset it would be hey where you going don;t leave me hear I'm ready to go. Their desire and need to be with you is stronger than you thing use it to your advantage. If the odg starts to thing hey if I go flat the human might leave me there there is going to be a lot less flat basset.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts