Basset Hounds Forum banner

Flanged Ribs?

49K views 21 replies 16 participants last post by  Bella Rae 
#1 ·
What exactly are flanged ribs? I've read they are a fault in show-quality bassets. Yet when I Google image search "flanged ribs" I can never see a difference.

#2 ·
Hiya,

I've got flanged ribs, so yeah, no dog shows for me... do you have flanged ribs too?

Best way for me to describe is it's the bottom of the rib cage jutting out, instead of tapering in (like a person's rib cage should taper in as you go from top to bottom).

Someone stopped us once & said her dog had the same thing as a puppy & then the puppy outgrew it. Looked at the dog & yeah, couldn't tell. but we were skeptical about me, since it seemed so obvious that the bottom rib(s) were sticking out. but it's true-- dunno if i'll completely outgrow it, but it does seem less noticeable.

Here's the best pic we could find. Looking at the outline at the top, look ing below my arm, there shouldn't be that peak there that goes up. That's the abnormally large rib bone.

Also included another pic too.

hope that helps?
--Worm

ps. yeah, that's me smirking after i pushed all the peeple away from the bed : )

Attachments

#3 ·
Hmmm...some days are worse than others. And I only see the ribs jut out at certain angles.

I think Gwendolyn, our little foster girl, doesn't have flanged ribs. But it kind of looks like she does because her belly skin is super loose from having too many litters.

As for Copper, his ribs aren't as prominent as the photos of you, but you can see the last few ribs stick out a bit.

Doesn't matter, because he's not show quality anyways. He was given up by a family that was going to use him for breeding. Glad they gave him up before he was bred because we found out later (after an allergic onset made him go lame for a week) that he has a bone deformation in his front leg. Backyard breeders make me so angry. Gwen was the victim of irresponsible breeders and Copper almost was. Leave breeding to the professionals who take care exceptional care of their animals and understand genetics. End of short rant.

#4 ·
Backyard breeders make me so angry. Gwen was the victim of irresponsible breeders and Copper almost was. Leave breeding to the professionals who take care exceptional care of their animals and understand genetics. End of short rant.
aye, aye, me totally agrees, Copper & Gwendolyn. that's exactly what methinks too & couldn't have said it better.

i'm knuckled over & I have flanged ribs, and also am some product of a backyard breeder type. no mention of the flanged ribs by the breeder, so that was a surprise when my person got me. she didn't notice it at first (since there were lots of distractions). then couple hours later at home, noticed that i have deformed ribs. ah well, at least there's no medical downside to it. but it did look kinda scarry at first, esp when i was super skinny.

#7 ·
They are not a disqualifying fault. Which means the dog can be shown but you'll waste a lot of money. The rib cage flares out abnormally.When you run your hands along the sides of correct ribbing it should be very smooth to the touch and smooth to look at. Flanged ribs will be bumpy and you will see them sticking out, especially if the dog lies on his side the ribs will protrude abnormally.

#8 · (Edited)
it's kind of hard to capture a picture. this is the closest we got.
fyi, Worm doesn't look this bad anymore. this was after he got sick Thanksgiving & lost weight. now he's gained most of it back.

the ribcage is abnormal. should taper in, but it splays out in the midsection.

Attachments

#11 ·
haha... yeah, kewl! Pricey take a pic and post it too, i wanna see ur landing stripe :)

oh yes, Mrs. bubbad. those flanged ribs r kinda tricky to capture. at some angles ya don't see it at all. the pics below we were trying to take pics of my ribs and my 'skinnies,' but not focused on the flanged ribs.

we really should try to take a pic of just the flanged rib. if i get a bettah one i'll post it.

i also need Estha's computah skillz--> she knows how to write an arrow in the pic? but i'm not technologically advanced to do it...!
--Worm

#13 ·
Archie has that too. I never knew what it was called, but I had seen it before so I was never really worried about it.

#15 ·
Fred's a "flanger" and a "Mr. crooked paw". Flanged ribs and a crooked right leg. Had them both checked out, but the vet saw nothing to be worried about. Some might call the deformities, I say they add character! As long as he's happy and not in pain.

#18 ·
Olive had a significantly flanged rib as a pup. It's gotten less noticeable as she's aged and filled out, but every now and then I can still feel it, mainly when she's on her side. This photo isn't the best, but it's all I could find on this silly little iPod. Sorry! Sleep Bedtime Child Nap Art

It hasn't caused her any pain or medical problems, by the way.

Sent from my iPod touch using PG Free

#21 ·
Some Bassets have any number of odd ribs but typically a 'flanged rib' is where instead of the ribcage being smooth right through to underneath, with the actual ribcage extending well back to support the long body (the norm should be to be able to put just 4 fingers between the end of the ribcage and where the pelvic structure begins - the loin), the hound's ribs kind of turn out at the bottom. Sometimes the ribcage doesn't extent far enough back (there are some good examples of this pictured on this thread!), so leaving a big gap. You should be able to put your hands on the ribcage without feeling any odd lumps and bumps in the ribbing. Good ribcages have to be bred for. And yes, it can appear that the situation improves with age, but this has more to do with general muscling and bodying up than an actual improvement in the shape of the ribcage.

From the UK Breed Standard "Body ........ Ribs well rounded and sprung, without flange, extending well back......."

Also this from The Basset Hound Illustrated Standard, Pub. the BHCA (highly recommended :)) "The rib structure is long, smooth and extends well back. The ribs are well sprung, allowing adequate room for heart and lungs. Flatsidedness and flanged ribs are faults". "Due to his length of body it is particularly important that the Basset has a good level topline. This strength comes from the length of rib, not the loin. The loin is the only area of the back that does not receive structural support. A soft topline results from weakened back muscles or too long a loin"

#22 ·
I have a mini dachshund that had flanged ribs as a puppy. It wasn't until he was nearly two years old that his ribs had corrected themselves. I believe leaving him intact throughout that time is what caused the healthy bone growth since hormones play a vital role in bone formation. Either way, I'm glad the issue resolved itself.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.