Basset Hounds Forum banner

First UDX Basset Hound Passes Away

5K views 19 replies 17 participants last post by  Arturo63 
#1 ·
Bugsie, aka Bugsworth Floydbunny UDX NA NAJ, passed away peacefully at home Sunday, October 15, 2006, at 15-1/2 years of age. She was the first Basset Hound to earn AKC’s Utility Dog Excellent title, and served as a wonderful ambassador for the breed in her pursuit of it.

Bugsie was my Novice A obedience dog, and the ride from Novice A to UDX was happy, goofy, and full of the unexpected.

Bugsie enriched my life immeasurably, and her death leaves a gaping hole in my heart.

#3 ·
Betsy, I'm so sorry to hear this. I think when we 'so something' with our dogs, achieve goals together and have a good time doing it, we forge a bond that is both immeasurable and unbreakable, even by death.

{{{{{Betsy}}}}}

#10 ·
Betsy and Kevin, I called you this morning. I am so very sorry. It's so hard, so sad, so painful. Betsy, you and Bugsy did such an awesome thing. Novice A to UDX is unfathomable. Your hearts and hard work will be forever recorded in history, and in the hearts of all of us who train (or are trained) by Bassets in Obedience. Via con Dios Bugsy. Take care, Belinda.

#11 ·
Betsy,

You and Bugsie certainly made history in the basset hound world. I hope you put her picture in the Tally-Ho. You both should be honored by being on the cover but I think they changed the damn rules. Hopefully not to exclude Bugsie.

Yes 15 1/2 is certainly above average but then Bugsie was above average in all that she did. Age however doesn't lessen the hole in your hearts. It still hurts and there alway will be an empty space that she once filled.

My sympathies to you and Kevin and all the Iole hounds. :(

Barbara

#13 ·
Betsy, please accept my condolences on the loss of Bugsie. I was just commenting on what a beautiful old girl she was. I know that after sharing our hearts and homes with them for over 15 years, there is a huge empty space. You were blessed to have her for so many years. May she rest in peace. I will say a special prayer for her tonight.

#15 ·
I'm so sorry, Betsy. :(

#16 ·
You and Bugsie certainly made history in the basset hound world. I hope you put her picture in the Tally-Ho. You both should be honored by being on the cover but I think they changed the damn rules. Hopefully not to exclude Bugsie.

My recollection (which may be wrong) is that a dog had to be an OTCH or have gone HIT at the Nationals to be on the cover of Tally-Ho. Is this correct? If so, those of us interested in performance activities might want to write to who? (the BHCA Board?) and suggest a change. Let's face it, there's been one Basset OTCH (in 1983, I think). The HIT dog at the nationals for the last 5 years, at least, has come from the Novice Class. Not to take anything away from a high-scoring Novice dog (my dogs and I should approach some of these scores), but a UDX is something f beyond that, IMHO, and should be one of the possible criteria for being on the cover of Tally-HO.

#17 ·
I totally agree. HIT is almost always from the Novice B class. I personally have put a CD on all of the Bassets I've owned. I've trained 2 through CDX and titled one and have only dabbled in Utility work. I wrote to Mark the BHCA wedsite guy about the photos from Nationals Obedience. They had HIT and HIT w/ another title but not Sara and Doc who qualified in Utility A!!! That has been rectified (and yours truly is there with 1st in Veterans! He, he!). Who do we contact as far as cover photo rules go? Take care, Belinda.

#18 ·
From the BHCA website:

In order for a dog to appear on the cover, it must be deceased and have had at least one of the following qualifications:

- have Register of Merit status;

- have gone Best of Breed, BOS, Winners’ Dog or Winners’ Bitch at a BHCA Nationals;

- have been Best of Breed at five local Specialty shows;

- have been a Dual Champion;

- have been an Obedience Champion;

- have been HIT at a BHCA Nationals Obedience Trial;

- have been Absolute Winner at a Fall Nationals Field Trial;

- have been a Triple Crown or Grand Field Champion; or

- have been a Champion Tracker (CT).

#19 ·
From the BHCA website:

In order for a dog to appear on the cover, it must be deceased and have had at least one of the following qualifications:

- have Register of Merit status;

- have gone Best of Breed, BOS, Winners’ Dog or Winners’ Bitch at a BHCA Nationals;

- have been Best of Breed at five local Specialty shows;

- have been a Dual Champion;

- have been an Obedience Champion;

- have been HIT at a BHCA Nationals Obedience Trial;

- have been Absolute Winner at a Fall Nationals Field Trial;

- have been a Triple Crown or Grand Field Champion; or

- have been a Champion Tracker (CT).
[/b]

Thanks Barbara,
I tried to find the qualifications in Tally-Ho, but couldn't. Actually, I wrote Randy Frederickson, who said the issue will be addressed at the next Board meeting. Interesting that the MACH title is not included--I thought it might not be because (I think) the MACH isn't entirely competitive (I believe it's based mostly on placements, rather than beating another dog, but I could be wrong) HOwever, the CT isn't based on beating other dogs, either, and there it is. Strange.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.