Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've never owned a dog before. I just got a 10 week old Basset named Cal and off the break I find myself constantly worried that I'm gonna botch the training. I'm aware patience is especially important when dealing with a Basset puppy, but I want to be sure I'm not misplacing my efforts in leash training and potty training. Any pointers are greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
Don't stress about this - our first Basset, Harvey, was our first dog,for both of us and as a result, he had to put up with our lack of knowledge in every respect. He survived!! And clearly set about training us - after all Basset people are owned by their hounds!! Bassets do have a reputation for being stubborn, but when that happens, it's usually because you need to change your approach to what YOU want, making them think that's what HE wants!! By all means read up on raising a puppy, but you must build into all that info. the fact that a Basset is a unique person. Strong willed = the impression that they are stubborn. Some will take a little longer than others to get the message so what must do is be persistent, and keep your patience! They will push you!

Don't try to do too much, too fast. And be prepared for repetition - also that the Bassets leads with FOOD so there's no shame in bribing to get the response you want. Once you have built up mutual respect you will have a buddie for life. It is a question of finding out exactly what makes 'em tick. Do not force a Basset 'into a corner' because with the more sensitive sort, especially males I've found, it is possible for them to go to fear biting simply because they get frustrated with what you want, and your reaction when they don't get it.

If his breeder is experienced, that should be the direction you look for help and advice. And there are some Basset-specific books out there which are worth reading.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts