Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First time viewing and posting on this forum. I'm looking for some objective opinions, obviously based purely on the information I'm providing, and from a first time dog owner. My name is Aaron, I'm 37, and I've got a red/white Basset named Tenor. He's been with me and my wife for over 11 years now. The last year has been difficult. He's gone through two enucleations due to glaucoma, and our family moving twice. It's been stressful. Now, he's been experiencing what seems to be an upper respiratory infection, with occasional bloody noses. Based upon an initial nasal swab, it was discovered there was a cocci infection. He went on antibiotics, with very little improvement and still the bloody nose. Per his vet, it's suggested to do further tests, including anesthesia and a deep sinus cavity swab to determine if it's a tumor, or a foreign object imbedded in his nose. Based upon his age, the vet believes it's the former.

I convinced myself that it was ok to remove his eyes, instead of euthanasia, because his nose was truly how he understood the world. Now, I'm wondering if I'm purely holding on to him for my own personal reasons. I can tell he's uncomfortable, but otherwise the rest of him is quite healthy. Bowel, joints, appetite...etc, seem normal. Clearly the procedure to determine if it's a tumor and the following one of removing it will be expensive...but what will he be like if he survives the treatment? I don't want to lose him...but I'm wondering if this is the time to let him go knowing it's still him.

·
Registered
12,937 Posts
Don't get ahead of yourself determine the cause and prognoses and proceed from there, still way to many what ifs to have a plan. IF it is oral melanoma the prognoses is usually pretty poor . there is a vaccine that may help but it is used as follow up to surgery and radiation. When being first tested I had a basset trying to get into the clinical trial but he did not survive through a the radiation treatments only 2 of three, The Controversy surrounding the Melanoma Vaccine for Dogs - Veterinary Specialty & Emergency Hospital - Englewood, Colorado

·
Registered
3 Posts
From experience I can tell you my feelings. He has done all he can do to love you.
You will forever be second guessing yourself is you do less than is possible to take care of him.
But he will tell you when it is time!

·
Registered
114 Posts
As the past owner of three rescues, two who reached the ages of 13 but had health issues leading us to pull the plug and the third who we loved for three years but had to let go because of esonophillic enteritis, the hardest part is knowing who gets the best deal here. Is it for you or your dog? You have done what you can for this lovely basset.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts