Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

Yesterday, my girlfriend and I adopted a very sweet, tan and white Basset Hound that we decided to name "Squeek". Squeek was a stray that my local SPCA found. The SPCA guesses that she is around five to six months old.

Since this is my first time owning a Basset Hound, any information that y'all would like to pass along would be most appreciated.

Also, I attached three pictures of Squeek.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Never let him off the leash. Never leave a coffee cup unattended on the coffee table unless you like the taste of basset slobber.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Welcome Clint and Squeek!

Squeek is very cute :)

There is a search bar at the top, you can type just about anything about bassets or dogs in general up there and find a plethora of pertinent information. Or just ask away, there are a TON of knowledgeable folks here.

Are you familiar at all with the breed? They are a pretty special dog :)

·
Registered
12,947 Posts
Never let him off the leash.
If they are never off leash then they can never do what they are best at doing.

Agility

Mariah 2006

or what they're second best at finding and chasing bunnies :(

Never leave a coffee cup unattended
basset seem to have an affinity for any caffinated beverage

If you owned orther dogs previous specifical breeds like Border collies, lab and golden retriever you need to forget everything you know about dogs when applying it to basets. While the personality traits of goldens and basset may be similar laid back etc there motivation are not at all similiar. So called easiy to train dogs have a trait called bidability, the willingness to please. Lets us just say that trait in basset never got passed down. They are all about whats in it for them. Unless they believe it is in their best interest to do something they are not going to do it. Basset can be one of the most intelligent and easy to train breed because they are iintelligent but you got to make it in their best interest to listen to you and for the vast majority of basset that means food.

see Hard to Train?A look at "difficult-to-train" breeds and the reality of what shapes these canine minds.

·
Registered
2 Posts
we adopted a basset pup yesterday that is 16 weeks old!!! we just love him i have never owned this breed before!!!! i so far am amazed with what a wonderful pup he is!!! good luck with yours!!!

·
Registered
150 Posts
We are new basset parents too. So I dont have much advice to give. But just wanted to say welcome! And hope your enjoying yours as much as we are Gracie!

·
Registered
761 Posts
Don't let them on the furniture (you'll never get them off after that). Keep old towels handy for their slobbery chins and wet ears. Get used to mopping up around the water dish. It takes Virga a good minute to stop dripping after she gets some water. Keep your food out of their reach. They are notorious counter surfers. Be patient but also more stubborn than they are. People might try and tell you that bassets are untrainable but you'll quickly learn that you can get most bassets to do what you want if you use food. They're very food driven. They're also very loving and always want to be where you are. Most people on this forum have found that having one isn't enough and so they have multiple bassets. All in all, you're in for a ride since you've decided to be owned by a basset but you'll never meet a better dog (in my opinion). Good luck with everything and come here with any questions you'll encounter.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Welcome to the Basset world... and once a Basset owner, always a Basset owner!!!

They are just the best dogs in the world and they love compoany of other Bassets and people and are amazingly calm around children as I found out... as my two children grew up very happily with our Bassets, who just adored our children and all their friends as well.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts