Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Teufel's is in heat, is it normal for her to whine, mope, and not want to eat her puppy food? Any advice would be helpful.

Thanks Patty

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
Since this question suggests a certain level of ignorance about canine reproduction, one wonders why wasn't she spayed before she came into season?

Yes, some bitches can go off their food, etc., while they're in season. She will be in season approximately 21 days. Although her discharge may decrease before the 21 days are over; this does NOT mean that she is out of season. During this entire time, she cannot have access to the outdoors unsupervised.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
:oops: She has an appointment in August for the spay. But apparently that wasn't soon enough. :(
I was assuming teufel would follow in her mothers footsteps, who didn't have a her first heat until she was 11 months.

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
Eleven months is late. Most bitches seem to come in between 6 and 9 months for the first time. Which is one reason spays should be scheduled for 6 months or earlier. Reduced risk of mammary tumors is another.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Any new dog, puppy or adult should be seen by the new owner's veterinarian. I don't understand why the spay/neuter surgery isn't scheduled at that time. :?: I wonder how many puppies are born because the new owner didn't schedule the surgery? It's the owner's responsibility but maybe veterinarians could help get the surgery scheduled at that first visit by offering a discount if the appt is made that day. Or charging double for vaccinations to intact dogs might motivate some owners.

We've even had instances on this forum where puppies have gotten pregnant. :evil: Responsible owners don't have unwanted pregnancies. There's no such thing as an "oops litter"! It either happened on purpose or from being careless.

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
Originally posted by Barbara Winters
We've even had instances on this forum where puppies have gotten pregnant.   :evil:
The litter I'm currently fostering being a case in point. :(

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Teufel was spayed today, she is now home and resting comfortably. I agree with all the issues and it was not my intent to not get her fixed. Time got away from us, after the resent death of our nephew. :(
I enjoy these forums very much and find them both informative and humorous.

Patty

·
Registered
72 Posts
Can you spay while she is in season, or did you have to wait, I am just curious. My pup is not quite 4 months yet I am waiting till 6 months to get her spayed. But I was just curious.

P.S. Is she doing ok? she is so cute she looks like a little stuffed animal you should post more pics of her.

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
Yes, bitches can be spayed while in season, but it's an easier procedure to perform when they're not.

Sending best wishes for a quick recovery for Teufel. :D Very sorry to hear about your nephew. :(

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi Yes you can have them spayed while in season, there is an extra charge for it. But it is worth it. I agree completely that spaying from 5 months (which my vet had suggested) should have been the way to go. When she went into heat I never let her out of my sight. The last thing I wanted to have and worry about where unplanned puppies.

Teufel is wanting to be back to her funny self, chase the cat, play ball which are all no no's right now. Last night I sleeped in the livingroom next to her kennel just in case.

I have her pictures on myspace http://teufelsandkittys.spaces.live.com/
and on dogster.com. If you can't access my space please email me at [email protected]

1 - 10 of 10 Posts