Basset Hounds Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We were hoping to get first hand info on the Bassets. We have researched the breed for hours online, plus called and spoke to vets, groomers, and the humane society, plus one person whose mom and dad own one. What we would really like to do, is hear from the actual owners first hand. We have already made up our minds that we are getting one and have one picked out from a breeder that we will be getting within the month. So we are not changing our minds at all. We are suuuuuper excited about him.

Now i just was hoping for some honest answers, so if anyone has any to these questions please reply.
Thanks.

Do they shed a whole bunch? I heard that when they do shed the fur is very hard and prickly and is alot everytime you pet them.

What is this hound smell truthfully like? Is it extremely stinky? Like when you walk into your house is it going to stink? Hahahahhah!!

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I have been through the first link a few times before. The second one is new to me though so thanks. I will check it out. :p

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys. I will check out those links and hopefully learn even more. We had a St. Bernard for 11 years. He shed as well, and for the last year or so had a yukky odor. That may have been the start of his sickness though. Not sure. Not sure how different the amount of shedding will be compared to eachother. I do rememeber sweeping and vacuuming and half way through the day i had dust bunnies in places. Oh well, shedding will come with a lot of dogs. When i talked to some groomers, they said the bassets, shed similarily to labs, rotties, and even pugs. Dalmations are super bad for shedding, and retrievers are bad as well. This is what 2 groomers said. I wonder if there is alot of truth to it........must be i suppose since they work on their coats for a living.
p.s. i must remention, that the boy we are getting is 1.5 years old.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the advice and show of circumstances involving your hounds. I have checked out all the links that ppl sent and they were helpful....a few i had read before, but did again. Enjoyed. Im not sure how much of the puppy stuff i will be able to apply to my boy. He will be 2 in May. Does anyone think i will be able to socialize him if he needs it? Or even retrain to acertain degree? Also, i hope my guy has a long/big dewlap. I notice a lot of the dogs i have seen on here have beautiful droopy skin,eyes,ears and dewlaps. Will this happen more as they age? Also, i have noticed there are a ton of pics with their hounds loose, i thought this was a big 'no no'. I thought they would automatically run after what ever scent they picked up. Or do some of them stay in the vacinity?

Thanks

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks guys. So all the dogs are different naturally i suppose. ANAL GLANDS.....WHAT..... Just kidding. Yes i have heard of these wonderful things. How often do they need to be drained usually on bassets? Gross!! Our St. Bernard only had them done twice in his 11 years. Yikes!!

Thanks again.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks.............yes i know all about those drool stains as well. OH yes i know that shepherd shed a whole bunch too.
I have a few more questions..... Our Saint Bernard was famous for that especially after drinking. And i know all too well about vacuuming and sweeping and then later that day, it looks like you did neither. Ha!

As i have said we will be getting a 1.5 year old within the month. I contacted the breeder last night with some questions regarding his dewlap and how droopy he is. When they wrote back it was in different dog lingo so im not sure exactly what was meant.
I asked if he had longer legs and if he had a saggy/droopy dewlap...........this was the reply:

He does not have a very deep muzzle. He has lovely lines in a side view and is not leggy looking. Neither is he "overdone", meaning that he is very bassety but has enough leg and loose skin to do what he was bred to do... hunt in deep brush.

So u see i am very ignorant in this lingo department....what i think they meant was that he doesnt have a big saggy extra amount of dew lap, Is that right? and obviously he has shorter legs.

I hope he is saggy though, that to me is what is so cute about them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts