Basset Hounds Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
My dogs are both shedders, droolers, and stinkers, but I wouldn't change a thing about either of them. My dogs are allowed off the leash going to and from the car for car rides (car rides to my parents house where when they get there they walk straight to the front door, such good doggies). They are also allowed off their leash in the front yard (we live in a dead end VERY QUIET street) if my fiance or myself are out there with them. This has truely been a test lately. Last night there were all kinds of critters running around out front. There was a rabbit in the yard next to ours and Lily had her eye on it. Lily crept towards the fence and stuck her head under the fence and about took off. My fiance yelled to her "Lily no!" and my hard headed diva girl...came back and resisted the rabbit!!! Yay, I'm so proud of her. This does demonstrate though that you have to be careful if your dog is going to be off the leash there has to be a lot of training involved. We have worked with our dogs a lot...basically walking around the safe boundaries and when one of them crossed that boundary they were told no...and when they returned when asked a lot of praise.

Good Luck with your dog.

~Heather

1 - 1 of 1 Posts