Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everybody - just a quick reminder to keep all your pets secure during the fireworks this holiday. More pets are lost on Independence Day than any other time......the sounds frighten and disorient them. I have a friend who lost a dog and a cat during the holiday - she eventually found her cat at a shelter, but never did find her dog. She was heartbroken. Keep those furkids safe and have a great weekend!

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
Thanks for the timely reminder! :)

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
My 2 are always a mess during 4th. I usually have accidents to clean up when I get home.

~Heather

·
Registered
86 Posts
The funny thing is Annie LOVES the fireworks and goes outside and sits up on top of the hill and watches all the different displays. It just cracks the neighbors up and usually have friends come over to see her. She gets excited when the kids next door are doing sparklers and those silly things you throw on the ground and they pop. We stay home now in the evening on the 4th just so she can watch it all!

She also loves storms and cries and cries when it is storming and raining since she loves to sit outside and watch.

Guess we are lucky that she isn't afraid of any loud noise!

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
It's been raining all day in Cincinnati & supposed to continue overnight. While I'm sure lots are disappointed, it's made for a very quiet day, which Spencer likes. He's terrified of the fireworks noise. However, tomorrow is supposed to be nice, so we are probably just delaying the fear one day! My house will be shut up tight with the TV on loud!

·
Registered
22 Posts
I took our pup out with us to watch the big fireworks display here in town. He was sleeping on my lap when the first one went off. Jerked his head up and watched them for about 10 minutes, then fell back asleep. I figured he would go nuts and was prepared to take him back to the house, but he just checked them out and mellowed which was a big surprise.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Francis wouldn't stir if a bomb went off under the house but just let an unfamiliar car door slam (we share a driveway) and he goes nuts.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Our Bassets went nuts too. I was hoping that the noise would not bother them, but they barked the entire time. We are getting our house re-shingled and this is also driving the dogs crazy. All of the hammering and walking on the roof is causing them to bark and pace the house. Needless to say we sit on the couch all day with them in our laps.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
I know this is an old thread...but here comes the 4th of July again and I need help calming Annie this year! Even though fireworks are illegal here it is inevitable that they will go off again. Any suggestions on calming your Basset?

I have tried homeopathics before that didn't work, turning music up loud, etc. Wondering if anyone has tried anything that works?

·
Registered
160 Posts
It took me a bit to figure out why Woofus was acting so strange. I've only had him 10 days, but all of a sudden he was acting up. Then I went outside and realized fireworks were going off. I can't wait till the 4th is over ;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts