Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, all,

I am starting a small breeding operation and would like to find anyone whose dogs have Ted Smith HM47499805, Grumpy Bub-Row Smith HM48090504, Tylers Little lucy HM52814903 or TJ's Little Dudley HM56601503 in their pedigree. Any contact information would be most helpful and appreciated. Thanks,
Brian
Blessed Friend Kennel

·
Registered
773 Posts
Oh, boy -- here we go again.

I don't know what kind of breeding operation you intend to start, but going online to find relatives of your dogs is a major red flag.

Since this is your first post, I suspect you're looking to start a rumble here...........

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
Hi Brian,

While I'm sure you have good intentions, as a long-time basset hound fancier and breeder I can tell just by the names of these dogs that you are not starting with good quality breeding stock. I'm not saying this to try to be offensive, but because breeding good dogs is a major commitment of time, money and emotion and by starting out with less than the best you are handicapping yourself unnecessarily.

I suggest that before you even think of breeding you get involved with your local basset hound community and devote yourself to learning all you can about the basset hound....how to recognize a good one, what health screening is needed, problems with the breed, the purpose of the breed and how the standard reflects that etc. Join your local basset hound club, and the Basset Hound Club of America. Start to attend shows and field trials to observe the top bassets in each area, talk to their breeders and pick their brains. Learn about responsible breeding, basic genetics, dog behavior, training etc. Joining and participating in your local all-breed kennel club is a good idea too. The more you learn before embarking on this endeavor, the better.

Good luck!

·
Registered
608 Posts
In my opinion, most 'breeding operations' would start off small, with breeders hoping that it would grow through time. I believe puppymills are often started this way.

I think it's obvious that you aren't aware of the ethical breeding practices that responsible breeders use, when you are online looking for relatives.

Can I just ask you to consider the many thousands of dogs who are PTS, suffer abuse, are passed from home to home, develop behavioural problems, are offered as 'free to good home' (these dogs often end up as bait for fighting dogs, animal research etc) or simply dumped at the side of the road, because they were bred by people who simplly thought their job was done once they had sold these pups.And that is not to mention the fact that these dogs should not have been bred in the first place due to health or temperament problems.

I hope that you can say in all honesty that 'No dog will ever suffer as a result of your breeding'

As for me I have never bred, as I don't have the time, finances. or experience, but someone who starts breeding dogs and who hasn't thoroughly learned their trade as Soundtrack suggested,then, I would have to call it 'Animal Cruelty' and I couldn't live(or die for that matter) with that on my conscience.

·
Registered
56 Posts
If you are planning to breed to make money, forget it. Breeding bassets hounds should not be a money making venture. If it is, aomething is wrong.

Soundtrack gave you some excellent suggestions if you truly love basset hounds and would like to be involved in breeding them. Most people don't realize that breeding two pet quality bassets often doesn't produce good sound basset hounds. One only has to visit a local basset hound rescue group to find that out. Every year our basset hound club sponsors a picnic to help raise money for our locat basset hound rescue groups. This year we had our four month old puppies, along with two of our adult AKC Champions, at the picnic. As usually happens at the picnic, people with bassets that they rescued were amazed at the difference between their dogs and ours.

A reputable breeder puts AKC Championships or performance titles on their bassets and then breeds only to the best of those. It doesn't sound like that's what you are planning to do. We breed for the love of the breed, not to sell pupies.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts