Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got so much praise and lotsa treats last night.
two days ago i tapped at the door, wanting to go out.
they thought it was a fluke
last night... stood by the door, looked at humans, and tapped the door AGAIN to go out! They almost cried! I got fussed over and got the "special" duck jerkey treats!!!

See I hadn't figured out this whole "potty outside ONLY" and "please let us KNOW when you have to potty" thing in the seven months eleven days I've been with these people. Was exclusively an outside dog first 18mo of my life (shudder. cant even IMAGINE that now that I've got full access to a couch a human bed and a loveseat!!) and would just squat whenever I wanted to. The peeps were at their wits end... I'd have a week or ten days' success and then an accident just when they thought I was getting it. And that was with constant begging for me to go outside and/or give any kind of sign. Wellsir, the light bulb FINALLY popped on for me.

cant let em get TOO comfortable. might pee on the floor tonight just to make a point... we'll see.:cool:

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Break through. Well now see how much better those treats are than the running around frantic peeps.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
You're right Esther! If you let them know how smart you've become, the treats, hugs and kisses will slow down and eventually go away. Play it smart!

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
Estha-- yay, thanks for sharing the great news.

jus wondrin'-- how do ya tap at the door? w/ur paw? w/ur nose? jus curious.

and duck jerky treats are my favorite, yum, yum. wonder if I start beggin' w/my eyes now, will i be able to get one from my person within the hour?
--Worm

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
with my paw.
well it's more like toenails on the glass storm door.
I was doing it outside to come in. but didn't get the reverse thing.
btw i was gonna do the bell like you, but they never gots me one.
slackers

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
haha, turns out its kinda hard to find bellz these days. since i do it for the front door, now my peeples want to hang more all over the place. like in the bedroom where i sleep at nite, so they know if i have potty emergencie. and also for the patio door, so i can let them know when i want to chill out on the balconie. or come back in.

anyways, they looked at drugstores, target, pet stores, & really couldn't find anything (and no, a cat toy didn't quite seem to cut it, not loud enuf). we were thinkin' we'd have to wait for the holidays to come to get some jingle bellz.

then in the past 2 weeks, when me went to the lake & there are bears there, we found a nice "bear bell" for dogs that clip on. then at our local pet store, we saw another "bear bell" so got that one too. they're actually useful for camping, esp at nite on the campground. peeples know where i am if i wear a bell & a flashing light and won't step on me. so they will use the bells for camping. but when we're NOT camping, they are gonna go on the doors...! problem finally solved.

but melikes ur solution, Estha. that seems to work quite well & doesn't cost anything.
--Worm

·
Registered
517 Posts
Oh ESTHER I am soo proud of you!!!! Three cheers for ESTHER!! Arrooo!!Arrooo!! Arrooo!!!!
You ask to go out just like I do -- Toenails tinkling on the door!! We were going to the bell thingy like WWorrmmie but figured that Cairo the Cat would just drive us crazy ringing all day. He is a spoiled trouble maker and craves attention!
Hey Esther -- the potty thing is the nice thing you did for your Dad this week....bettcha he will actually share his dadaroni and pepperoni with you this weekend and maybe take you for a car ride!!!!
By the way .... I will never understand why anyone would leave a beautiful girl like you outside ...... maybe we should get all our friends together when we take that road trip and poop on their doorstep!!!! Your Mom and Dad are very lucky they found you!!!
Your Pal Pais!

·
Registered
12,960 Posts
, we found a nice "bear bell" for dogs that clip on. then at our local pet store, we saw another "bear bell" so got that one too. they're actually useful for camping, esp at nite on the campground. peeples know where i am if i wear a bell & a flashing light and won't step on me. so they will use the bells for camping. but when we're NOT camping, they are gonna go on the doors...! problem finally solved.
or you could/ve got an easy button from staples.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Worm, it's excellent that your humans got the same bells for each door. Now you can trot through the house ringing each bell and driving them nuts trying to figure out which door you're at! Sounds like fun!

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
Worm, it's excellent that your humans got the same bells for each door. Now you can trot through the house ringing each bell and driving them nuts trying to figure out which door you're at! Sounds like fun!
haha, yes... you r spot on. I do drive my peeples nuts by ringing them a lot. but it's THEIR fault for not taking me out when i ring. 'we're busy right now,' 'just wait a little bit,' 'gotta take care of another thing first,' yada yada yada.

so then i go ring ring ring. but yeah, i've taken the bells up as my musical instrument & i'm learning to play them now ;)
--Worm

·
Registered
246 Posts
Just bought the bells for Daisy at Walmart. So far no interest shown. She has been heading in the direction of the door when needing to potty. So I'm hoping she catches on to ringing them soon. At 4 1/2 months I don't think she is doing too bad.

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
Just bought the bells for Daisy at Walmart. So far no interest shown. She has been heading in the direction of the door when needing to potty. So I'm hoping she catches on to ringing them soon. At 4 1/2 months I don't think she is doing too bad.
Cool! we need one more set of bells actually, so will look at Walmart, thx for the tip. looking for something inexpensive to hang outdoors on the balcony. (the bear bells were a bit pricey...)

I think we hung the bells for Worm at 5 months, and it took him one entire month to ring them. he was totally disinterested & ignored them, and then one day out of the blue, he started ringing them. we were almost going to take them down because we thought he'd never get it.... sounds like Daisy is doing quite well, esp for her age!

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
By the way .... I will never understand why anyone would leave a beautiful girl like you outside ...... maybe we should get all our friends together when we take that road trip and poop on their doorstep!!!! Your Mom and Dad are very lucky they found you!!!
Your Pal Pais!
Agree w/Pais-- sorry ya had to be outside the first year and a half of your life, Estha.... what was the story there? why did u have to be outside all the time?

and yeah, definitely we should make a stop on our road trip & get the Basset Posse together... hee hee, that is a funny idea Paisley... where do ya get all ur ideas from?? :p

1 - 20 of 22 Posts