Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My husband recently had surgery. Since we have 2 bassets about 1-1/2 yrs old that are very active, we were not sure how this would work out with Daddy recouping at home using a walker/cane to get around and sleeping in the living room to avoid our steps. To our extreme delight, they follow him around walking just as slowly as he does, they sleep whenever he does, for as long as he does, seem to appreciate the company at night, tolerate his snoring and are generally being very good dogs. We wonder what is going on because they usually chew everything in sight and chase each other all over causing havoc in their wake. We can only hope that this is finally breaking them out of their extended puppy phase and they are "growing up." :)

·
Registered
608 Posts
My big guy becomes very subdued and clingy if I am ill.Got to say though, as soon as I am back on my feet, he retorts to his usual self.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
I'll echo what sadeyes said. When I'm lazy/slow my dogs usually are too.

~Heather

·
Registered
774 Posts
Yep, our dogs are very responsive to our energy levels. Generally if we are sick they are pretty calm and just want to snuggle. My chihuahua is your best friend if you are running a fever, she loves warm people to snuggle with LOL.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Think you may have a point SophieB. To explain....... I sometimes suffer from a condition which comes on suddenly and is painful until the medication I take for it kicks in, until it does though I am usually bent over and groaning quite a bit. Toby never leaves my side and looks intently into my eyes and puts his head on my knee until it passes and then he toddles off.

One night however after the pain had subsided I decided to keep groaning as I enjoyed his attention. Toby however obviously sensed that I was faking it and turned round and walked away. (should add that this is not a serious condition but I am just a coward). My westie however just sleeps through the whole drama!!!

·
Registered
297 Posts
LOL... too funny that he knew you were faking.

This is kind of interesting too as I was worried Roxie wouldn't pass her therapy dog certification as we started when she was about 2 years old and she was and still is a very sassy and active little girl who loves to jump and play. I was worried she would act that way when testing and being observed but I was pleasantly surprised, as soon as we entered the nursing home she settled and just sat next to the wheel chairs and walkers and let them pet her over and over again. She even allowed me to hold up her front end so some could pet her cause they couldn't reach otherwise and she's not overly fond of that... but for therapy work she's fine with it. They do tend to know. Plus I remember when she was still a puppy and I would work double shifts and then come home to catch about 3-4 hours sleep just to turn around and work 6 hours later she was so good about coming up and snuggling and sleeping with me when I needed it (as long as she got her morning tater tots that is... I always stopped at Hardees and got an ultimate omelet biscuit for me with tater rounds for the puppies).

·
Registered
34 Posts
I had a major sciatica attack this past week. For the worst of it Beau did stay right by me, on the couch since I couldn't lie down. He put his paws on my hip in such a way that the pressure from his big ol' feet actually relieved the pain a little. (took some serious meds to really do the trick though)

Once I was able to move around again he went into his kennel and stayed there until I called him. It was like he was staying out of the way so I wouldn't trip on him.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts