Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, after trying some various foods, ( I switched from Science Diet after seeing how low their report card was) we have finally hit on a great combination of foods that keeps their weight under control, their anal glands from being problematic and their coats healthy.

We have put them on Innova Weight Control formula and for breakfast, they get 1 1/2 cup of that with a little warm water on it, and a couple of tablespoons of canned pumpkin. I found that mixing the pumpkin throughout the food really slowed Button down from wolfing his food.

At night, they get another 1 1/2 cup of Innova and about 4 nice size pieces of boiled chicken breast chunks and 1/2 cup of cooked mixed vegetables. I just buy the 2 pound bags of frozen green beans, corn and carrots and cook enough at a time for several nights. We eat a lot of chicken so I just give them that or boil some and keep it in the fridge.

They love it and so far so good. I came to the conclusion that no dog food can give them every nutrient they need and that they needed meat and vegetables just like we do.

I was just wondering if anyone is doing anything like this and what your results have been?
Can anyone think of any reasons that I shouldn't feed the vegetables?

·
Registered
183 Posts
We have been feeding our two homemade food for almost a year now - twice a day feeding. The vet was very concerned about their weight and we had issues with allergies as well. Luther went from 84 pounds to 68 and Sammy went from 64 to 52. Their allergies have mostly cleared up, they have more energy, better coats and overall seem healthier. We feed them chicken, oatmeal, brown rice and vegetables and mix in some bone meal. The recipe is from a great book that has been really helpful in dealing in with their allergies.

We just started mixing in some dry kibble - it's called Wysong and is expensive but they only get about a 1/4 cup at dinner. Just enough to keep their teeth in good shape. They also get biscuits and ice cubes as treats.

Overall we have had great success with this food and as it turns out it's no more expensive than the dog kibble we were buying. It's more time consuming but we do enough for a couple days at a time so it's not too bad.

Plus they never turn their noses up at dinner anymore! :rolleyes:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts