Basset Hounds Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey y'all! When I got divorced 6 years ago, my ex husband got Rufus and I got the kids. Now, I'm in a house with a fenced yard, the kids are older and just HAD to have another. Baby Petunia is my 5th basset I've had throughout my life. Unfortunately our closest basset rescue, 2 1/2 hours away won't adopt to me because we are in a different state, so I had to get a puppy. Whew! This is a lot more work than I remember! This puppy has some sort of skin allergy, so I came on line to see if maybe somebody knows something my vet doesn't. I'm already $800 into vet bills for this constant scratching and we've only had her a month. As a last resort, he took skin samples to send off-so now she's in a cone until the stitches heal.

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
Well done getting another Basset - a home without a Basset really isn't a home....... as I've very sadly found after we lost Frankie (off his back legs + loads of other problems at onlyi 10.5 years). We've not been without one (or more!) since our first in 1972!!

I can't take on a puppy at our age (or at current Basset prices in the UK) and have been trying to adopt an older one but with so far, absolutely no luck. And I do have fingers in pies. Some Rescues are very picky which to some degree is a good thing, but I've applied for quite a number of hounds now, those I feel would be a fit, but continue to be rejected. To the point that I'm letting my Whippet girl, now 13 years, live out her days and then see where we are.

I'm sorry you have one with a skin allergy but it's good if your vet has send skin samples off for I/D. Most allergies, if this is what's going on, are food related and it can help to do an elimination diet test - feeding something the dog hasn't eaten before. It can take time as what's caused all the reaction has to leave the system first. I have seen this more often in bicolour hounds, than tricolours. - fwiw.

I suppose your vet has been able to rule out mites. And that you have been in touch with your dog's breeder about what's going on........ things like this can empty a Bank account fast with all the 'try this, try that'.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
one with a skin allergy but it's good if your vet has send skin samples off for I/D. Most allergies, if this is what's going on, are food related and it can help to do an elimination diet test - feeding som
Well done getting another Basset - a home without a Basset really isn't a home....... as I've very sadly found after we lost Frankie (off his back legs + loads of other problems at onlyi 10.5 years). We've not been without one (or more!) since our first in 1972!!

I can't take on a puppy at our age (or at current Basset prices in the UK) and have been trying to adopt an older one but with so far, absolutely no luck. And I do have fingers in pies. Some Rescues are very picky which to some degree is a good thing, but I've applied for quite a number of hounds now, those I feel would be a fit, but continue to be rejected. To the point that I'm letting my Whippet girl, now 13 years, live out her days and then see where we are.

I'm sorry you have one with a skin allergy but it's good if your vet has send skin samples off for I/D. Most allergies, if this is what's going on, are food related and it can help to do an elimination diet test - feeding something the dog hasn't eaten before. It can take time as what's caused all the reaction has to leave the system first. I have seen this more often in bicolour hounds, than tricolours. - fwiw.

I suppose your vet has been able to rule out mites. And that you have been in touch with your dog's breeder about what's going on........ things like this can empty a Bank account fast with all the 'try this, try that'.
Yes, they've ruled out mites. I got her from a couple who had an "accident" litter of puppies-or so they said. She was itching when we picked her up, but they said they had just put Capstar on her to kill fleas-so I assumed their house had fleas. After several days the itching never went away. They haven't replied to my emails with questions about whether the other puppies had itching. I got her for $600, compared to the $1800 that they normally sell for.

·
Registered
13,135 Posts
1. How old is the puppy? allergy symptoms before six months of age is highly unusual
2. allergies tend to be genetic in the breed the breeder should have let you know about this especial if it runs line. they probably know what work for there other dogs,.
3. rarely do allergies get better over time they generally worsen.
4. Most general practice vets are horrible at dealing with allergies, while expensive it is more often than not more cost effective going to a vet specializing in dermatology though the wait times can be huge.
5 there are a number of issues like demodectic mange Demodectic Mange in Dogs, staff infection Staphylococcal Dermatitis and Staphylococcal Hypersensitivity in Dogs etc that occur in younger puppies that could be misdiagnosed as allergies.

·
Registered
13,135 Posts
"Dogs with FAD do not have to be infested with fleas to be itchy. In fact, a single fleabite can cause itching for several days. "

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
"Dogs with FAD do not have to be infested with fleas to be itchy. In fact, a single fleabite can cause itching for several days. "
I've had her 5 weeks and the itching has continued. My sister had a lab with flea dermatitis and it was awful. She had to keep her yard sprayed because even though he was on flea preventative, one flea in the yard would make him miserable for days.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
1. How old is the puppy? allergy symptoms before six months of age is highly unusual
2. allergies tend to be genetic in the breed the breeder should have let you know about this especial if it runs line. they probably know what work for there other dogs,.
3. rarely do allergies get better over time they generally worsen.
4. Most general practice vets are horrible at dealing with allergies, while expensive it is more often than not more cost effective going to a vet specializing in dermatology though the wait times can be huge.
5 there are a number of issues like demodectic mange Demodectic Mange in Dogs, staff infection Staphylococcal Dermatitis and Staphylococcal Hypersensitivity in Dogs etc that occur in younger puppies that could be misdiagnosed as allergies.
She is 15 weeks. He said he ruled out mange and other types of mites. Unfortunately there isn't a vet in my area that specializes in allergies. If it gets to that point, we will have to book hotel rooms and travel. I hope it doesn't get that far! She seems to be better since he gave her an $80 shot that he said would last 30 days (I can't remember what it was). She wasn't itching at all after the steriod shot, but it only lasted 2-3 days and he said he doesn't like to use that too frequently on puppies. The scabs under her fur on her back end and tail are almost completely gone.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I knew a dog (a friend's) who had a mystery allergy and who had all sorts of theories - plants, anxiety etc. We took him to a different vet and it was a flea allergy (yep one bite can do it). After an injection to provide immediate relief then consistent monthly oral flea prevention medication, he was fine.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts