Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm questioning Ringo's age and I was wondering if there was any good ways to tell a dog's age. We got Ringo in March and they weren't sure how old he was, the person the rescue got him from said he was about 5 but really wasn't sure.

Me and my boyfriend both think he acts older than that but we are no dog age experts and have no clue! We are gonna ask the vet next time we go but he isn't due to go until March and I'm curious now :)

I know as a dog ages they get a white mask on their face but Ringo already has some white on his nose anyway, I've noticed he has some white hairs past his normal white spots up to his eyes but I have no clue if those were there before or if they are new or anything.

That is really the only aging sign that I know of, any one else have any other ways to tell of a dog's age?

·
Registered
761 Posts
I'm fairly sure that vets can tell just by looking at a dog's teeth. Usually. I can't. But you might be able to find something online. But just remember if a dog had poor dental care growing up (not saying yours did) then their teeth would be worse than a dog that had good dental care. Good luck and let us know when you find out please!

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Teeth are a good indication when the dog is a puppy ie puppy teeth vs adult teeth which on are exposed etc however after that it is a bit of a crap shoot. How and whan the dog chews will effect the wear on the teeth that vets use as a guage.

FWIW tennis balls for example are really abrasive on teeth. A dog the play with and chews on tennis balls will have teeth that show a lot of wear.

Greying is also a poor indication, I have a baset that started greying at 3

mariah at 2 1/2

mariah at 4

mariah at 5

·
Registered
973 Posts
Wow Mikey that picture of her at 5 gives me hope that Anabelle might be younger than we suspected. They think she is 8, our vet was honest and just said it's hard to tell at this point. Her muzzle looks like the bottom picture of yours.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
FWIW Toughy (see avatar) was 9 before he showed a hint of greying. And Macey A red and white Only has a hint of greying in the eye brows and the cheeks.
at nine Mmariahs Face is almost completely white.

·
Registered
973 Posts
This picture shows Anabelle's face pretty well:

I know at the shelter I'm at most often they typically use teeth as an indication but after a certain age it's really no more than an educated guess. My mutt is now 10 years old and his teeth are in really good shape. He had 1 removed last time we went in but they said other than that he really had no problems. Anabelle is theoretically younger than he is but her teeth are in terrible shape; she had 8 removed before we adopted her.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Lightning's face started lightening up at about 5. His entire head is white now (he's 12). Stomps died at about 14 years old, and his muzzle was hardly gray. Stomps' teeth were horrible from the time I got him, so at 6 he had the teeth of a 12 year old. Lightning at 12 has the teeth of 6 year old. So it is very difficult to age a dog.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts