Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last weekend my husband and I decided to go to our first field trials (2). It was a rewarding experience with alot of work finding bunnies and being out in the rain. Our Scarlet placed 4th out of 25 bitches in her first ever run. We were thrilled and proud of her. The second trial two days later she decided she didn't want to put her nose to the ground she just wanted to play. She just turned one year two weeks ago so it must have been the puppy in her. Thanks to all the northwest field trialers for putting up with the newbies!

CTG

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Finding places to train is the difficult part since we live in a pretty urban area. We plan on trying to find rabbit scent if it is available and trying the dragging on it and having them follow it so they get used to what a rabbit smells like and that they are supposed to search for it. Has this teqnique worked for anyone else?

·
Registered
797 Posts
I tried rabbit scent from Cronk's and none of my bassets nor any beagle was interested. I found a list of AKC beagle field trial clubs. One of them might be of some help or at least might steer you to an area where you can train

Evergreen Beagle Club, (B), Melinda Wallace, 694 Koontz Rd, Chehalis, WA 98532-8436

Inland Empire Beagle Club, Dona L Cowan, PO Box 1445, Maple Valley, WA 98038-1445

Kahmooks Beagle Club, (B-rabbit), Dona L Cowan, PO Box 1445, Maple Valley, WA 98038-1445

Seattle Beagle Club, (B-rabbit), Dona L Cowan, PO Box 1445, Maple Valley, WA 98038-1445

·
Registered
939 Posts
congrats!!! it's a cool feeling when you get a young one to place in a trial.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts