Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First time Basset owner. New puppy 11mos old. Did not want to get her fixed, becuase she's AKC and so cute! I'd love to breed her one day. However, I don't know the first thing about "little girl's." I was wanting information about basset menstrual cycles, etc. My puppy's really showing signs of disturbance during this new "change" in her life. ?? :)

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
I am probably not the best person for the scientific part of doggy cycles... but I am a nurse practitioner and know the human version ;) I have had females- and Sami had several cycles before she was spayed- I do know you need to be very, very, very careful not to let her out of your sight during her heat- Generally they can get pregnant around the midpoint but can occcur on either side- it's about a month worth of messiness. Bassets are hard to keep the little doggy diapers on- We went to boys underwear that was either velroed snug or used a diaper pin... Be aware these do NOT prevent pregnancy!!! While being "cute" can be a fun reason to breed I would recommend a long talk with your vet- It is a lot of work, money, time... and risk to your sweet love. We raised golden retrievers many years ago- had a kennel- the works- but it's a 24 hour thing till the puppies are old enough to move about on their own- Prenatal care- puppy vet trips. Do lots of research before deciding to breed your dog- You have a few years before she's mature enough regardless- but watch out for unexpected visitors in the meantime! Share pictures of your little lady when you can- And welcome to the board-

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
Being a responsible dog breeder

Should I breed my basset hound?
Should I breed my dog?
Should I breed my dog?

Responsible breeding steps

Should I breed my shetland sheepdog?

5. But my Sheltie is AKC registered (has papers)! (And there are a few champions in her pedigree…)

AKC registration is NOT an indication of quality. A registered dog, be it AKC, UKC, CKC, etc., simply means that its parents (and their parents) are also registered with the same registry. This confers no merit in of itself, it simply means that the dog's parentage is known. Most dogs, even if they are "purebred", should not be bred. Many dogs, though wonderful pets have faults of structure, temperament or health that should not be perpetuated. If you do not know what genetic defects to beware of, please contact one of the reputable, responsible breeders in your area who will be able to answer your questions; or chat with some of the volunteers with Sheltie Rescue. They can tell you what they have seen!

Should I breed my dog?

[ August 13, 2005, 07:37 AM: Message edited by: Soundtrack ]

·
Registered
84 Posts
Just FYI... Dogs do not have menstrual cycles, they have estrus or "heat" cycles, and they are in no way the same thing.

Also, breeding your female not only puts her at risk for all sorts of dangerous/fatal pregnancy related problems, it also puts her at a greater risk of mammary cancer later on.

Please don't breed her. Unless you are breeding to improve the breed and have proven champions behind your little girl and the dog you would breed her to, you aren't helping or improving the breed in the least.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Just because a dog is AKC registered and cute doesn't mean she should be bred. Did your dog come from a reputable breeder? I think not, since she's intact and you apparently have her registration papers.

Please don't breed. Get an education first!

·
Registered
7 Posts
My Basset's first heat produced so much blood that I decided without any doubts that I would get her neutered. I was totally unprepared for the volume compared to other breeds.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Can someone tell me when is the best time to get your dog neutered,as i was told that you should always let a bitch have her 1st litter,then get her neutered.Plus how much roughly does this cost now i was also worried that can this have side effects to your dog?
Carol

T

·
0 Posts
The first litter information is a myth. Most dogs are spayed at approximately 6 mos, often before the first heat cycle. As far as cost, I have no idea what it would cost in France. There is always the risk of complications from surgery and anesthesia, but my understanding is that the benefits far outweigh the risks. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Janet 'n Twink

·
Registered
118 Posts
Now i know this may sound strange,But once they have been neutered does that mean that they do not go through the motion of bleeding or does it mean they just do not get preggies,this is my 1st experience with a female dog...
Thanks for your help!
Carol Mollys Mummy

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
It means they will not to into heat at all, so no bleeding. Much easier to deal with.....

·
Registered
118 Posts
Soundtrack
Thankyou so much this has put my mind at rest,as we are going to the vets tomorrow for Mollys vaccines so i will have a chat with him about it.
Carol

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Seems like we've been down this road before....I know nothing about breeding, except I haven't the skills or knowledge or interest. Really, get your girl spayed. Lotsa dogs in this world, both purebred and cross bred (I believe you posted a question about a basset/cocker cross last summer)and 'all-american'that have health problems, need homes, and probably won't get them, because of breedings that shouldn't have taken place. If you want to really use your gal's talents--and put that cuteness on display, get her involved in a performance sport that shows off how great bassets can be--Obedience, Rally, Tracking or Agility. Neutered dogs can compete in all.

[ October 28, 2005, 09:27 AM: Message edited by: S. Hall ]

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
Doesn't sound to me like Carol is interested in breeding. :)

·
Registered
118 Posts
Hi everyone ive not long got back from the vets,Molly had her vaccines all ok there.We spoke about Molly being neutered and he thought its a good idea if im not interested in breeding.So all it takes now is for me to pluck up enough courage and book her in once she is around 6-7 months.
Must say im worried about the operation + will it change her personality?

[ October 28, 2005, 11:10 AM: Message edited by: Carol & IainW ]

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
No, those of us that responded about breeding were probably responding to the originator of the post, who say that he'd love to breed his dog one day...

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
Must say im worried about the operation + will it change her personality?
Normally the operation is problem free. I've had it done many times without a problem. And I've never noticed a change in personality, except what you would normally get anyways because the dog is growing up and maturing.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Thanks Soundtrack
Ive been reading up on it today,spoken to the vet,+ your kind words ive decided its best all round for Molly to go ahead and have the operation once she is 6 months old as this is the age roughly that they say is best..
Carol

1 - 17 of 17 Posts