Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2 year old female Basset named Bobbin has been getting UTI's her whole life. She just recently got vaginitis (which she still has). The Vet told us that she keeps getting infections because her backside is so droopy and she is actually peeing on herself and that causes bacteria to grow. He told us about a surgery that she could have if the problem persists where they basically just hoist her backside up a little bit so it's no longer in the way. He said he's had to do a few this year on labradors and other dogs. I really don't want to have to resort to surgery, thats scary and I'm in college and can't afford it. She's been on Clavamox tablets for a week, she seemed okay so we stopped but it's back and we're going another round. How much do those surgeries usually cost? and what's the recovery time, etc.? I've been giving her plain Kefir everyday and the vet gave us these special wipes to use after she goes pee. If anyone's had this problem before I could really use some advice :(

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
Adrien,

try not to get discouraged, but do know that the surgery is not an absolute guarantee of a solution. Iy can probably be delayed if money is tight and you keep up with the Clavamox. My basset was on Clavamox maintenance on and off for most of her life --even after surgery at about 3 years of age. We had to learn how to take it in stride over the years and our Daisy enjoyed a good quality of life. The surgery can cost as much as a $1,000 but it may well be worth it in your situation. Good luck!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts