Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 10 week old female Basset. I have been reading up a lot about them but i can't find anything specific about how much to feed a puppy. I feed her 3 times a day but i'm worried about over feeding her and getting her off to a bad start. she has a pretty big belly. ( has been checked and treated for round worms)

If anyone has any advice it would be greatly appreciated.

thanks! :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
p.s.

also, i have read to follow what the breeder was feeding her but i recall her saying 1 cup 3 times per day.... that seems like far to much

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Welcome to Cybehound. I always started out with about 3 cups per day (1 cup 3 times a day or 4 times, if it was 8-12 wks and adjusted accordingly. If the pup's poops were too loose, I'd cut back a little. If the pup was looking too thin or too fat after a week or 2 on 3 cups I'd adjust the amount. Of course it depends also on the quality of food you are feeding, activity level of the pup, etc. What brand of dog food are you using? Also depends on between meal snacks. I gave my puppies pieces of kibble for snacks.

If the breeder was feeding a premium dog food and the pup did well on it I'd start off with that. If you change do it gradually over the course of a week or more.

Good luck and enjoy your pup!!!

PS And by loose stools I don't mean diarrhea!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts