Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well Bessie is almost a year old and I feed her 1 cup dry food 3 times a day. I also have broken my own rule about people food and she gets a little of that....after dishes are done....now she does this wiggle while we eat ...looks like her rear end is gonna fall off! Shes not fat ...yet... but if I dont get realistic she might. I dont know how much she weighs but I bet its over 50 lbs. I feed her IAMS large breed puppy food dry. What do all of you think is a reasonable amount to feed?

[ March 30, 2006, 03:21 PM: Message edited by: Jeff&Sandy ]

M

·
0 Posts
I think it really depends on the dog. I always went according to their energy level and also valued my Vet's advice regarding weight. My Maggie Mae (ATB) was always around 53 to 55 pounds. She ate 2 cups, twice daily. Not with the new guys, Rusty eats about 2 cups, twice daily and Stickers eats about 2 to 3 cups twice daily. Her metabolism is faster and she burns it off. Their breeder said to put their food out, leave it for 30 minutes. Then take it away. Whatever they eat in 30 minutes is it. She also told me something I've never heard. To refill the bowl during the 30 minutes if they seem hungry. She said they won't overeat and funny, the never did! The table food in my opinion is a mistake. She may become a real begger at the dinner table. That's your choice. Good Luck!!

A

·
0 Posts
Ruby gets one cup in the a.m. and one cup in the p.m. (Eukanuba Fish & Potato). She gets biscuits and extra pieces of kibble as treats.

She also gets mini carrots and string beans, all which she loves. We give her a bit of people food here and there but not all the time. Ruby is a lean 53 pounds of muscle and skin.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
the only way to tell if a dog is over fed or underfed is by assessing the body condition

here are a few ways to do that

Weight[/i]
Corpulent Canines?

Body Condition

“Do I Look Fat in This?” Is Fido Overweight?

keeping in mind studies show that even with charts and such most owners still underestimate the dogs body condition. Thinking it is thine than it really is compared to more expert opinion. Therefore IMHO it is better to aim lower than a 5 on the Purina Body condition chart for a 4.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I mix 1 cup dry with 1 can, twice a day for each dog. They also have a self feeder for dry. Digger looks a good weight at 56 lbs. Dozer looks thin at 53 lbs. If I feed him extra, he won't eat it. I would like to see him at 60 lbs, but he just won't eat enough.

·
Registered
813 Posts
George has dry food out all the time but he won't touch it. And I know you're gonna howl ;) at this, but he gets a plate of whatever we're having for supper. The vet raised an eyebrow at me but said he was in perfect health so "keep doing whatever you're doing." He also gets Scooby Snacks and a couple of weenies for treats every day. He weighs around 50 or 55 pounds.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone and yes Mikey I have read those articles and others and they all basicly say the same thing but I was looking for more than general information. What I am asking is what others feed their dogs and how much and when. Like I said Bessie gets fed 3x a day and I wonder if maybe at nearly a year I should cut down on amounts and or number of feedings. She certainly isnt obese and I want her to stay trim. Just really looking for averages here and I think I will knock off feeding table scraps.
Thanks again, J&S
P.S. I just weighed her and she weighs 43lbs

[ March 30, 2006, 03:22 PM: Message edited by: Jeff&Sandy ]

M

·
0 Posts
Rusty and Stickers are one year old. Stickers is very thin, long and tubed shaped. She weighs 39 and Rusty is more bulky and weighs 46. I feed twice daily. I worry about bloat so I like several feedings with smaller portions. I feed Hills Science Diet Adult Lamb & Rice dry kibble. Water added to make a gravy. FINALLY they are eating just like normal dogs!!!!

A

·
0 Posts
Bogie is eleven months and the vet had us change him from large breed puppy food to adult dog food of our choice. We now feed him Nutro Natural Choice Lamb Meal and Rice dry food. He gets 1&1/2 cups morning and evening. He weighs 45 pounds, very active, long and lean. He also gets a few Nutro dog biscuits during the day. He's very healthy and has a beautiful coat.
Do stay away from foods that have "ethoxyquin" which is a chemical preservative and may cause serious disorders in dogs. This same preservative is also found in fish meal that is used in many dog foods.

A

·
0 Posts
To all the people that "Howl" at the people food issue, let me relay a little story.

While growing up, our family had a little terrier that never ate dog food the entire fourteen years we had him and goodness knows how old he was when we stole him from the jerk who left him tied to his car bumper while he was gone all day and most nights.

Good old Gunner had a steak, or pork chop, or chicken breast cooked for him on many a night when we ate leftover shepherd's pie. He ate potatoes or rice or pasta or porridge or eggs and veggies (no salt or butter), meat, vanilla ice cream (or whatever we had for dessert, even chocolate, because in those days we didn't know any better). He ate his veggies raw or cooked and was probably healthier than we were. No scraps for him.

Four good long walks every day, one with each of us and the only reason he didn't last longer with us, was he met a wild, much larger dog at the beach who picked him up and shook him and he never quite recovered.

I feed Wilson good vet food but am definately not opposed to treats of "good" people food, not scraps. (fruits and veggies and meat (not fat)

There, my sermon is over now. Merely my humble opinion.

Susan and an appreciative Wilson (he gets treats)

A

·
0 Posts
Opus is nearly ten, fit s a fiddle and he eats...
Toast with cream cheese or garlic spread, pasta, rice, rashers, sausages, crackers,chocolate, chips, toast with butter, curry, poppadoms, brown bread, white pudding, bones, eclairs, biscuits, salmon, cod liver oil, cod, plaice, chicken, duck, turkey, carrs water biscuits, gouda cheese, parma cheese, chedar cheese, french semi cured goat's cheese and corn flakes with real milk..oh yeah and hpyoallergic dog food(dry)
I don't know what I am forgetting, but he is healthy fit and robust, so don't fret.
Arlene and Opus

A

·
0 Posts
I feed Porkchop (50 lb corgi mix) and Claire (50 lb basset with attitude) 1 cup twice daily of Nutro Chicken Rice and Oatmeal. As Maggie Mae's Mom mentioned, I also am very concerned about bloat. My friend that is a Golden Retreiver breeder recommended soaking their food a couple of hours before feeding, or overnight so that their food is mushy. Just about 1/2 cup or so of water, this prevents the chance of bloat. She has done this for years for her dogs, and most members of her club do the same. (Any thoughts on this anyone?)
They get plenty of marow type bones to chew on daily (from pets Mart that last FOREVER and don't splinter at all) and Nutro dog biscuits a couple of times a day for good behaviors. Well...... truth be known it is usually Porkchop that does something good and she earns the reward for both of them as I couldn't give just one a treat and not the other!!! BTW their teeth and gums look great. So that's our story :)
Annie
Porkchop and Claire

A

·
0 Posts
Forgive my stupidity Annie, but Corgi mixed with what to be 50 lbs. Aren't corgis really small dogs?

Just Susan (Wilson doesn't want to look dumb)

A

·
0 Posts
That's not a stupid question, I should clarify a bit. She is part corgi and perhaps beagle, but dare I say that some people have said she looks like part pit bull terrier! :D

·
Registered
813 Posts
Her head is kind of the shape of a pit bull's (see how it's triangular?) and her ears hang sort of the way theirs do and she has that big appealing eyes thing they do down PAT. LOL We had pits for years before George got us. Still, if she does have some in her I'd say it's a quarter at best. There's something else there, too.

A

·
0 Posts
she is very cute
Simon eats about 3-4 cups of california natural, some of their biscuts and some Mother hubbard cookies
I would see what the bag recommends, see if your dog acts hungry, is gaining weight etc. When i got Simon and he needed to gain quite a bit of weight, the vet explained to me, that you can judge by the b.m.s If is is more so and looser, he said it is just passing thru, and they aren't getting more nutrients so it may be too much
I would like Simon to eat a little more, but I am not giving him other stuff, except cheese for training

A

·
0 Posts
Ok so I have seen her before and just forgot. Sorry about that Porkchop. You are beautiful and your name is so cute. But when your mom said corgi, I pictured a little Welsh corgi and even with a name like Porkchop I couldn't figure how one of those little guys could be 50 lbs without being really obese.

I don't know exactly what she is either, but that is something that never mattered to me, a dog is a great friend and I never met one I couldn't fall in love with in 3 seconds flat.

Wilson thinks she's cute too.

Susan and Wilson

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
What I am asking is what others feed their dogs and how much and when. Like I said Bessie gets fed 3x a day and I wonder if maybe at nearly a year I should cut down on amounts and or number of feedings. She certainly isnt obese and I want her to stay trim. Just really looking for averages here and I think I will knock off feeding table scraps.
All mine had been down to 2x day feeding by 1 year of age but that is because they told me the were not interested in the noon time meal by skipping it. If A dog eating more smaller meals is less likely to bloat than one that is eating larger meals.

Comparisons of actual amount of food consumed is not practical unless 1. the dogs have the same metabilism and activity level. I have had dogs multiple bassets all betweeen 40-55 lbs on Eukannuba Premmium Performance all betweeen 40-55 lbs.large breed depending on the dog and the season I fed as little as 3/4 twice a day in the winter to one dog and as much as 1 1/2 cups twice a day to another suring the summer.

2. they are fed the same dog food. Dog foods vary widely in the caloric content per cup. Generally speaking the more expensive premium brands are more nutrionally dense meaning you feed less. Also why comparing dogfood based only on price is a fools game. Many so called bargain brand you have to feed so much food that the Premium brand on a basis of $/CALORIE BASIS are cheaper.
comperison Pedigree large breed 250 kcal per 8oz cup vs Eukanuba Large breed premium Performance 431 kcal/cup vs iams large breed 382 kcal/cup there is a significate difference between the amount of food need to feed with pedigree vs the iams products.

The only way to acurately feed a dog is to acess the dogs body condition every 2 weeks and adjust accordingly if needed. The Articles I included in post above have actual methods to judge body condition

Corpulent Canines?
People don't know how to determine the correct weight for their dogs. Dogs vary in height, bone structure, and muscularity, so there is no one correct weight for a dog of any given breed. The best way to determine whether a dog is overweight is to test 3 different parts of the body: the neck, the ribs, and the hips.

To check the neck, press your thumb and index finger deep into the side of the neck just ahead of the shoulder, and pinch them together. If your fingers are more than 1/2\" apart, the dog is overweight. (Note: this is where old dogs tend to carry most of their excess fat, and they may actually be thin in other locations.)

To check the ribs, stand with your dog beside you, facing his butt. Place your thumb on the middle of his spine half way down the back and spread your fingers out over his last few ribs. Then run your fingers up and down along his skin. You should be able to feel the bumps of his ribs without pressing in.

To check the hips, run your hand over your dog's croup. You should be able to feel the bumps of his two pelvic bones without pressing down.
“Do I Look Fat in This?” Is Fido Overweight?
And here’s another way to determine how your dog’s ribs should feel:
Hold your arm out parallel to the ground with your hand in a fist and held level with your
arm, then ~

Feel the back of your fist. You’ll notice you can barely feel the bones underneath.

If your dog’s ribs feel like this, he could lose some weight (see example 1 below).

Now move your finger over the knuckles of your fist. You’ll feel each knuckle
protruding pronouncedly with little flesh covering them. If you dog’s ribs feel like this, he’s underweight (see example 2 below).

Now feel the top of the fingers. You’ll feel the bones of your fingers slightly padded
by the flesh of each finger. If you dog’s ribs feel like this, he’s a good weight (see example
3 below).

·
Registered
987 Posts
Wilsonsmom, I am in agreement with you. If food is of a quality fit for humans then why feed your dog something that is not even fit for human consumption. I think the confusion starts because people think feeding human food means from the table or fried chicken or something.
I do us a high quality dry dog good, but I had either chicken, beef or fish to it, with a small amount of starch like, pasta or rice and veggies.
My bulldogs skin issuse have nearly disappeared and I get compliments all the time on how nice Lily's coat is. They were all recently at the vet and received excellent bills of health. My dogs are also quiet active which I think is vital. But if something like scrapple is rated for human consumption, can you imagine what the by products in dog food might possibly be? UG!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks Friends! Also thanks Mikey I have read those articles before on body condition and on activity levels. The comments on calorie content were helpful too! Thanks all who spoke up it sure did give me an idea about proper feeding averages and also other diet ideas for Bessie.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts