Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been misleading myself into believing that Annie wasn't a chubbo :(

I weighed her a few minutes ago...58.1lbs!!! Oink oink! Guess who will be eating veggies and doing puppy dog style P90X?!?!

But...I still don't think she looks all that fat. Plus she eats pretty healthy and gets exercise. Maybe she's just a big girl. I'll have to get her dimensions later today and toss those on here for some feedback also.

P.S. I would NEVER tell her she is a fattie...I tell her daily that she looks good. Can't have her developing a complex :)

·
Registered
92 Posts
Annie,

It's okay to have a little "junk in the trunk"! Momma tells me she wishes that having a round bottom was as cute on her as it is on me! LOL

Chuck

·
Registered
517 Posts
AWWW Annie don't feel so bad -- Paisley is rather portly too (about 50 lbs) according to our vet. She has gained about 10 lbs. over the past year and it turns out that the measuring cup I was using to feed her was twice as large as the one the vet recommends. I was using an old measuring cup that I baked with and the vet gave me an Iams cup the size of a plastic throw away coffee cup and here I thought a cup was a cup. OOOPs! Paisleys Dad was a wopping 80 lbs. and her Mom a svelt 40 so I reason she should be somewhere in between but our vet disagrees. We are trying to loose and feed her lots of green beans, carrots and pretty well any other veggie of the day -- she loves turnip. But just just when I think we are gaining at loosing someone will comment on her turkey butt. We happen to like turkey butt. Now that the weather is nicer she is getting more exercise and hope at our next weigh in she will be down a couple of pounds. So Annie chin up and eat those green beans!! And oh yeah check the size of your measuring cup!

·
Registered
12,947 Posts
FWIW not all weight gain in adult dogs is fat. Adult dogs through exrecise or lack of exercise and aging gain and losse muscle mass as well.
Marich when we got her weighed 36lb she is now at 42. wieght is a poor indicatior if a dog is or isnot overweight, you really need to use body condition charts and measurement.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you all for the reassurance :) I think that is what we needed. Still gonna work on the puppy dog P90X though...LOL.

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
Oh, Annie, I think you look divine! (and Boomah especially thinks so)
My person doesn't let me EAT everything i want to either : (
but i've come to really love carrots and tangerines and green peaz.

i hope we can go running on the beach soon, maybe in June? i will chase you up and down the beach so you get good workout, what do you say? and if Boomah can get his tail over here from Nebraska, we can all go together...

my person says to enjoy my teenage figure now, because in a couple years, i will be living in a saggy baggy old man frame... :eek:

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Princess Buttercup...we think you're right lol K90X it is!

Wormie! Looking forward to a run in the sand with you! Thanks for your nice compliments. My mom takes her final exam in class today today and then we have big plans to catch a few rays and work on our girlish figures :)

·
Registered
761 Posts
but i've come to really love carrots and tangerines and green peaz.
Does Worm get extra stinky after eating citrus? Mine do. In fact they aren't allowed any citrus whatsoever. They also sometimes throw up after eating it.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Annie, Worm is right, you look deeevine!

Momma says that we can't afford a trip to Caleefornya right now. Have an extra run on the beach for me, m'kay?

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
Does Worm get extra stinky after eating citrus? Mine do. In fact they aren't allowed any citrus whatsoever. They also sometimes throw up after eating it.
Hmmm.... stinky in what way? (as i'm thinking about this ??, it occurs to me that bassets could be stinky in many ways...!) he doesn't have problems w/the 'hound' smell that we know of (or maybe our noses are numb!). i think it helps his breath. he likes lemons too, tho we don't feed him any, he just finds them. we use tangerines like gatorade-- he gets some after exercising and running/playing hard as a snack, in addition to water.

but yeah, we do watch the acid. we try to do some acid-base balancing w/his food, because if too acidic, it irritates his stomach & he'll throw up. usually, we give him citrus w/other things, including: yogurt, kibble, carrots...

how come yours aren't allowed citrus, just curious? are they allergic?

citrus works well when we are w/other dogs, because we won't get other dogs begging us for food, ha! they don't want any. just Worm. but it doesn't work well when we're with people-- he's gotten people to share their orange or tangerine w/him by staring intently at them like this :eek:

oh Worm, you're so embarrassing sometimes...!

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Paisley and her Mom just want to wish Annies Mom -- GOOD LUCK on her final exam!!!! Arrrooooo!!!! We'll be thinking of you.
Thank you! The final was kind of a joke...like maybe the instructor didn't feel like actually writing 100 questions. There were TONS of repeated questions. But oh well :)

P.S. I just checked...I ended up with a 94% in the class :)

Came home and welcomed in summer like this:

·
Registered
517 Posts
Thank you! The final was kind of a joke...like maybe the instructor didn't feel like actually writing 100 questions. There were TONS of repeated questions. But oh well :)

P.S. I just checked...I ended up with a 94% in the class :)

Came home and welcomed in summer like this:
Annie Bannanie -- Yours Moms SO SMART!!!! You should be very proud of her:D Hope you help her relax after all her hard work -- looks like you are making a start at summer. Wish we were there with you -- the nasty:confused: weather man is calling for FROST tonight:eek: I bet Dad digs out his long-johns again Paisley

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
Wow, CONGRATS! Annie's mom. whata great job. Annie you must be so proud of her! what a pleasant way to kick off summer (tho it's raining here...). like your backyard pics.

ummm yeah, i'll be your K90X trainer if you want Annie...
--Worm

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Wonder if that weather will move south and hit us...we are getting into Coppertone model mode! Workin on our fitness and our tans!

Yes Mr Wormie, you'd be an awesome K90X trainer!

PS...my mom say thanks :) But I take all the credit, after all, who do you think quizzed her??

1 - 20 of 36 Posts