Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My husband takes Jake on a weekly trip to McDonalds. Yesterday was the day. His routine is to open the front door- Jake runs straight to the truck and climbs into the front seat...

Yesterday-one of those darn ole cotton tails that torment Jake through the window was sitting in the yard when the door opened. Jake bolted for the first time- Took off after that rabbit... My husband grabbed his keys and took off in the truck because they were moving so fast he couldn't give chase... The rabbit gave Jake the slip 2 blocks over- we think he ducked down under a fence and Jake lost the scent. My husband finally caught him several streets away. Thankfully I was at work or I would have been hysterical! My husband wonders why I say ALWAYS take him out on his leash :roll:

[ February 18, 2006, 11:02 AM: Message edited by: Basset Momma ]

·
Registered
181 Posts
I remember once when my parents came to visit and they got to our house before we were home from work. Our first basset Jeffrey, ATB, ran out the door in the pouring rain and two hours later he was finally cornered. My dad said he hadn't ran that much since the Marine Corp and that it was hard to catch because of Jeffrey's "racehorse ass" :D

Here he is in a more sedate moment.

Not to be a downer but that is also how we lost him. He got out off leash at family's house without a yard and chased a white streak at night into a highway.

[ February 18, 2006, 10:34 PM: Message edited by: Oliver Twist ]

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm always worried here- There is no major highway... but we are on the outskirts of the city- cotton fields surround us- We'd never find them if they took off into the fields. Mine have never been dogs to bolt for the front door- but now we know to be extra careful - one never knows what a hound is thinking.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts