Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So we are experiencing a first in our household with Breezy having a false pregnancy. In the last week, she has started lactating and nesting. She has also become markedly more aggressive and at time seems almost bipolar in her mood swings.

Just wondering if anyone has any tips in dealing with this "moody" girl and how long this will last. She was in heat when we got her around Feb 14th and her cycle ended within 2 weeks of that.

We would like to get her fixed soon ( we haven't had the money until now) but I read that it can be more traumatic if done during this false pregnancy period. Is there any kind of medication that will stop this?

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
There's nothing really to be done except wait it out. Discuss with the vet how long you should wait, but the duration can really vary.
Two things to watch for: mastitis and pyometra. Examine the breasts for "cakeyness" and make sure she doesn't have any unusual discharge, loss of appetite, excessive thirst or vomiting (especially vomiting water).

·
Registered
761 Posts
Poor Breezy! She can't get a break can she? I have absolutely no experience with this. Sorry and I hope she feels better soon. She'll probably feel so much better when she gets spayed. Then no one will have to worry about this anymore! Good luck!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts