Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello...The 1yo female I am going to pick up tomorrow is having a false pregnancy at this time. She is also having some skin issues onher back (very dry and with some red spots, looking like irritation).

The breeder took her to the Vet today to update her shots and the Vet was not alarmed by the skin, and prescribed some antibiotics and antihistimines. The thought is that this is related to the false pregancy. The breeder did let me know about all this and said if I was concerned and don't want her that is not a problem.

I am having the dog spayed, once I get her, and I guess once the "false pregnancy" is over. What can you tell me about caring for a dog with a false pregnancy. Does any of this sound worrisome?

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
False pregnancy is pretty common in Bassets, and generally not a real issue. Some can become "hormonal" and have "personality issues" during this time. It's a good idea to watch out for signs of mastitis, just in case, and pyometra for a few weeks afterward. Once she's spayed you'll be home free.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts