Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have written my breeder about Zeke. He is alot taller than the average Basset and alot longer. I am starting to wonder if he is maybe mixed with beagle even though she insisted he is pure bred. I never insisted on papers (yeah, I know!) and am now asking her for them. If she should refuse to give them to me do I have any course of action towards her? I want his supposed registration paperwork and his pedigree. I saw his supposed Mom and Dad and he looks nothing like either one, and is way taller than both. Unless he shrinks with age, I am thinking that I got swindled. Any advice/comments are more than welcome.
Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
Can you post a picture of Zeke? How old is he?

[ February 01, 2003, 09:11 PM: Message edited by: Soundtrack ]

·
Registered
1 Posts
my bassett also has longer legs that most i have seen but i do have an AKC papers for her.
did i get ripped or is she really a bassett

·
Registered
12,937 Posts
Toughy measure 15 1/4" at the withers this is a disqualifying fault in AKC Conformation. He is most certainly a purebred dog but not from the most reputable of breeders. There is a variety of sizes and to some extent what is preffered varies over the ages.

With male dogs nuetering before they growth plates of the bones close actual cause the plates to remain open longer than they normally would and a slightly taller dog is the result.

From Early Sterilization in Dogs and Cats

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
I had a puppy in one of my litters who from birth was obviously longer legged than normal. I don't know what he looks like now and he went to the co-breeders, who live far away from me, and they sold him as a pet. He was very well bred with Champion parents, the father being a Nationals winner and the mother was BOS at the Canadian Nationals.

I figured he was just a throwback, like my longhair.

Coincidentally, I had named him Zeke....

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks to everyone! I have just been wondering but height wise he matches your dog, Toughynutter, however his body seems to be longer than that of a "true" basset as well. His nose is kind of black and copper so maybe it is a result of too much breeding the parents or maybe he is mixed with a copper nose beagle? I guess I will never know for 100% fact! This doesn't change how much we love Zeke, but I have definetely learned a huge lesson!
Thanks, again!

·
Registered
12,937 Posts
beagles are a more square breed than basset. i.e. there hieght is close to their length. A beagle/Basset crosses {bagels) in general are not as long as pure bred bassets. This goes for most other basset crosses as well. A longer than normal body length does not indicate a cross breeding. Less than Black noses while not desired are not unheard of in red/whites and Lemon/whites.

·
Registered
12,937 Posts
i have seen but i do have an AKC papers for her
First are you sure the registry is AKC and not some other lesser known one?

From the AKC Registration Page"The Rules and Regulations of the American Kennel Club stipulate that whenever someone sells or delivers a dog registerable with AKC, the dog must be identified by providing the buyer with a properly completed AKC Dog Registration Application for a dog not yet individually registered or a properly completed AKC Registration Certificate for a registered dog. If neither of these is available, the person delivering or shipping the dog must furnish the person acquiring the dog with a bill of sale or written statement, signed by the seller, giving all of the identifying information listed below.

For a Dog Not Yet Individually Registered
Breed
Sex and color and markings
Date of birth
Litter number (when available)
Names and numbers of sire and dam
Name of breeder
Date sold or delivered

For a Registered Dog
Breed
Registered name
Registration number
Date sold or delivered

This identifying information must be supplied with the dog even though AKC papers are not yet available, and even to a person who takes the dog only for resale as an agent or on consignment, and the same information must be passed on by him when he disposes of it. When you do receive the properly completed AKC registration papers, verify the papers against your bill of sale to ensure that all the information is correct. Please be advised that a dog will not be registered or transferred without the proper AKC registration papers. "

If the dog was represent as AKC Registerable then you may have a Grievence that can filed against the Seller and/or breeder if different if they did not provide this information. I think the filing fee is $25.00

If however the stipulation was the Dog Sold Without AKC Papers then you are S.O.L.

[ February 03, 2003, 10:18 PM: Message edited by: Toughynutter ]

1 - 8 of 8 Posts