Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In Ellie's left eye, the third eyelid is sort of exposed, not even that bad. It has happened before, and it usually goes away. I assume this will go away as well, but I was just curious as to if this is "cherry eye"? It does not seem to bother her at all. Is this something I should be pretty worried about or should I just keep an eye on it? I will try and get a pic up tom sometime, but she won't stay still... wild woman!

·
Registered
878 Posts
Lottie, one of my Bassets had a cherry eye last year and the vet advised an operation so we went ahead with it and all went well and no problems since. I have some pics of the 'cherry' but can't find them at the moment.

Some people said at the time that with a bit of manipulation the 'cherry' can be popped back in but it's as well to get it tucked in by the vet and stitched inside (dissolvable stitches).

Lottie still sat up like she always does, even with her lampshade on her head!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
By the time she woke up this morning, the eyelid had gone back in place, and everything looked back to normal. Guess I will just have to keep an eye on in to see if it persists, and if so, I will be bringing her to the doc ASAP.

Lottie is so cute! Ellie tries to sit up like that, but she does not have enough balance to stay up, she ends up just falling over! Hopefully, one day she will be strong enough to hold herself up like that. :)

·
Registered
878 Posts
That photo is hysterical! She looks like a bizarre martini glass!
Haha I know what you mean!!! Lottie always sits up when she's having her supper and continued
to do it after her cherry eye op, so it shows it didn't bother her at all. I was glad when I could
remove the 'lampshade' as I felt it looked uncomfortable but stopped her rubbing it as I expect
it was itchy as it was healing.

I didn't want her to miss out on wearing her Santa hat to match her sister's one.....!!!
This was only a day or two after the op and her eye still looks pink and a bit puffy...
but it soon went back to normal

She has always sat up since she was about 6 months old and first did it one day while we were
eating our meal when she seemed to want to check out what we were having and she has done
it ever since! Her sister Lucie can't sit up like it unless she's resting her front feet on a chair or
on my lap or knees if I am standing, because she is a couple of inches longer than Lottie so not as stable!

Lottie sits up outside too... also in her bed or on the settee... even when out walking as she loves
the attention from strangers, who often get out their phones and film her!!!

·
Registered
973 Posts
I'm sorry we've drifted from the cherry eye topic, but these photos are awesome!
Agreed :D

When is your next routine vet appointment? As far as I know cherry eye is not supposed to be painful.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Cherry eye is the prolaps of the gland in the corner of the eye. When it does so it is possible for it to go back in place but it is very rare

Cocker with cherry eye in both eyes. The third eye lid goes by a number of other names as well . haw and nictating membrane. It is supose to be promenent in the basset.

toughy has a prominent haw (red area) more porminent than many because of the droopyness of his eyes. this is normal, not it is flat the gland in the corner is not popped out like in chery eye.

There are some condition that will cause the third eyelid not to retract full leaving it to cover part or all of the eyeball. These include allergies, dry eyes and glaucoma which is an eye emergency

1 - 8 of 8 Posts