Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We are owned by a 17 month old Basset the goes by the name of Basil (think of Basil Rathbone of Sherlock Holmes fame) and we had never had a basset before. He is a shelter/rescue dog and did come with some adverse baggage which he is getting rid of quickly. He was abused and we are still finding the triggers that cause the adverse behavior. He is getting lots of love and affection and basically a stress-free life at present. Yesterday marked the end of three weeks that he has been living with us. One of the questions we have is regarding eye care and possible eye problems. We used the natural herb, eyebright, in the diet for our soft-coated wheaten terrier and it helped his central progressive retinol atrophy to the point that it stopped the progression of the disease and he did not lose his eyesight completely. Does any one use eyebright in the treatment for glaucoma in bassets? We did put Basil on the herb three days ago and my husband and I take the herb also. We are both over 60 and my husband is on a computer all day at work and does not need reading glasses. Any information would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Canine Closed Angle Glaucoma

I, unfortunately have lots and lots of experience with canine glaucoma and you really, really need to use one of the human glaucoma eye drops. Your veterinary ophthamologist can prescribe you the right one or the right combination. It is a terrible disease and blindness can usually be postponed with the right meds.
My now 12 year old Francis went totally blind from this scourge but he is without doubt the most happy, independent little cuss on the planet. While I was sitting on the couch crying after he finally had his second eye removed he was finding his way to the dinner bowl.
We've been fine ever since.

·
Registered
878 Posts
We are owned by a 17 month old Basset the goes by the name of Basil (think of Basil Rathbone of Sherlock Holmes fame) and we had never had a basset before. He is a shelter/rescue dog and did come with some adverse baggage which he is getting rid of quickly. He was abused and we are still finding the triggers that cause the adverse behavior. He is getting lots of love and affection and basically a stress-free life at present. Yesterday marked the end of three weeks that he has been living with us. One of the questions we have is regarding eye care and possible eye problems. We used the natural herb, eyebright, in the diet for our soft-coated wheaten terrier and it helped his central progressive retinol atrophy to the point that it stopped the progression of the disease and he did not lose his eyesight completely. Does any one use eyebright in the treatment for glaucoma in bassets? We did put Basil on the herb three days ago and my husband and I take the herb also. We are both over 60 and my husband is on a computer all day at work and does not need reading glasses. Any information would be appreciated. Thanks.
Regarding Beverly Anne's reply... I can't see in the first post anything suggesting that Basil has Glaucoma... my impression is that his owner wants to dose on Eybright as a possible preventative...

Edit: Maybe I have read the first post wrongly!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts