Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a quick question... Howie, all of a sudden, has really milky looking, swollen eyes --and they seem to be a bit itchy as he keeps wiping his face on the furniture. I will be taking him to the vet ASAP in the morning (things like this always happen on Sundays, don't they?).

Any ideas of what is wrong with my 'baby'??

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
I'm not a vet by any means, but the first thing I thought of when i read your post was glaucoma. :( Which means you might want to get to a vet as quickly as possible.

I googled glaucoma, basset hound and swollen, and came up with this:

The early signs of glaucoma that an owner may watch for or notice are pain, a dilated pupil, cloudiness within the cornea and/or an increase in the size of the blood vessels in the white portion of the eye. You may notice that one eye seems larger or protrudes more than the other. Most animals will not display all of these signs initially, maybe only one or two.

The pain may be indicated by the dog rubbing his eye with his paw, against the furniture or carpet, or your leg. This is a common, and often unnoticed, early sign. Some dogs will also seem to flutter the lids or squint with one eye.
If your little pumpkin's symptoms are anything like that, I'd get to a vet now.

Someone who knows more than me will be here soon enough but I wouldn't wait. Good luck and post back what's going on!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We flushed Howie's eyes out last night with water (he didn't like it so much!). After doing it twice, his eyes haven't looked milky or swollen at all. He doesn't seem to be in any pain -- he was running laps around the house like a madman last night!

I'm still going to call the vet. We just moved to TX so I have to find a new vet. It's not as easy as our last place where they knew Howie by name and called him the 'holy terrorist' (he barks a bit much when he's at the vet).

Hopefully it was just an allergic reaction to something.

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
Fingers crossed, it is! I can be kind of alarmist when it comes to the medical (note: count your lucky stars I'm not a vet or vet tech :D ).

In any case, his madcap scampering seems like a good sign. We all have allergies here so ... :roll: :mad: gack on the allergies! :mad:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts