Basset Hounds Forum banner

Extreme Devastation last night and early this AM!!

5K views 27 replies 23 participants last post by  zsarduy 
#1 ·
Everyone,

As, I sit here at work I am devastated and at a loss for words. Last night early this AM my heart has been ripped from my chest. Most of you all know our Dusty dog. He is our sweet OLD MAN. Last night about 11pm he got a case of “bloat” I knew immediately what it was when I took him out for the last time of the night. I ran in the house got my husband and off we headed to The Emergency Vet Hospital 45 minutes away. When we got there they took him back and examined him as well as x-rayed and confirmed in deed he has “bloat” The only option to help him was to try surgery. At his age of 13 and how fast he progressed swelling, he had a 50/50 chance of surviving anesthesia let alone surgery and recovery. At approximately 1:15AM We opted to let him suffer no more. He was in quite a lot of pain and was continuing to swell. We got to spend our last times together with him, we hugged and kissed our old man until we couldn’t wait any longer. I know as much I knew he is getting older and one day he won’t be with us any longer, this has just about killed me inside. I had always hoped it would be old age that got to him not something like this. When we finally got home this AM, it was so extremely hard walking in the house to see his bed and toys where he had left them from playing earlier in the night. All, I can do is be THANKFUL for all he shared with us! We have been blessed with many many years of joy and unconditional love from our old man. He is truly a ONE IN A MILLION and we were very lucky to be the ones that were his family. He has brought so many joys and wonders to our life. I will always be THANKFUL for him!!!

Sorry if my words seems scattered I just am a wreck at the moment.

See less See more
#11 ·
My thoughts go out to you. Having lost Sadie, I know how hard it is. It's something you know will come, but when it does, it's never easy. I know in time your pain will ease and your thoughts will turn to the happy times your spent with your handsome boy. Know that he has plenty of friendly Basset company at the Bridge!

#18 ·
I just wanted to take a moment and tell everyone THANK YOU so much for your kind words. Dusty was such a huge part of our everyday life for us. Neither my husband or I could even bring ourselves to come in the front door where he would always greet us. It is just such devastation for us. Dusty was our first and only hound. He was such an incredible fella! We were so blessed to have him be a part of our lives!

#19 ·
I too am so sorry for your loss! I think too it is harder when it goes so quickly and something unexpected. We lost our last fur baby that way and it was just so devastating to wake up with her and then in the evening she was gone. Please know many thoughts are with you and your family and know Dusty is having a great time at The Bridge with all the other beloved Bassets we have lost!

Take care!!!!

Kathy

#21 ·
We are all very sorry to learn your sad news. Dusty is now playing with all the other beautiful Bassets at the Rainbow Bridge, and it sounds as though you gave him a very happy life. Jake and Harvey say "woof".

#26 ·
I just wanted to say THANK YOU all for your kind and caring words. They mean so very much. It has been very quite with out our OLD MAN. I know time will eventually heal our broken hearts. He was just so special, we were truly blessed with him.

I was searching for a poem or inscription to put on a marker stone for him and came across this Basset Poem. I have changed a couple words to fit our old man's personality better.

What is a Basset Hound?
He looks so old to be so young, so sad to be so gay,
This Basset Hound with a wrinkled brow is in my heart to stay.
With four short legs and happy tail and ears that drag the ground,
With crazy habits all his own of sleeping and running around.
He gives love in abundance, enough for us to share,
With all our family and friends and much, much more to spare.
His dress is quite peculiar, I’m sure that you’d surmise,
He wears a very elegant coat but it must be twice his size.
Twice usual size, inside his chest, is a heart that’s made of gold,
God must have been in a jovial mood when He made the Basset mold.
He’s quite a clown by nature, in looks and actions too,
He cheers you up when you are down and loves you when you’re blue.
And when you’re ready for a romp, he’s always there to play,
This funny guy with a wrinkled brow is in my heart to stay.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.