Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The more I find out about Bassets the more I start to think Molly is unusually small for an adult. She is a rescue, so I don't have very much information about her background. She only weighs 26 pounds, which is much less than what I read is the average, or what the weight of the girls some of you folks have. I thought she might need to put on some weight, but the vet says she is perfect. The vet thinks she is about 3 years old.

I would be interested to hear what some of you think.

Attachments

·
Registered
282 Posts
I don't have the years of Basset experience that a lot of people on this board do, so they may be able to give you a better picture. However, to me, she looked healthy. I thought she might not have a lot of extra or loose skin, but that doesn't appear to be the case. Her waist is trim, and overall looks like a healthy girl.

My Millie for the longest time was about 30 pounds, and has just now gotten to 48 pounds and she is two.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I was curious and asked almost the same thing a week or two ago (look for the "skinnies advice" thread if you want to read some of the things people posted.) My Fred is a rescue as well and had absolutely no information on him when I got him. All I knew was he was part of a puppy mill raid, had a long list of illnesses, approx 10 months old and weighed only 17 lbs. He is now almost a 3 year old male and is still only 35 lbs. I'm sure you were thinking like I was... "why is he/she so tiny? Aren't Bassets supposed to be big?" Everyone assured me here as long as the vet was happy than he was just fine. Once she settles in I'm sure she'll put on a little weight, but it's better for her health that she says on the slimmer side.

P.S. She's really cute and has a face you can't help but fall in love with!

·
Registered
483 Posts
My foster before our current foster was only 30 pounds and she was very small compared to my 50 pounds basset. She had been part of a backyard breeding program. I don't think smaller bassets tend to be the result of ethical breeding programs. Breed standard is generally heavier, I believe. However, I have read about Basset Artesian Normands that are supposed to be smaller (about 30 pounds). Not sure if that is a defunct variation of the breed now.

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
For a while there were people breeding "miniature" Bassets that looked just like regular ones but much smaller. Thank goodness that fad seems to have died as far as I can tell as apparently most of them had serious structural and health issues. I only ever saw one, she was cute as all get out but with horribly crooked legs and blind from glaucoma.

Molly may be a remnant of that trend.

·
Registered
77 Posts
She sounds positively adorable! (I'd love to have a little bitty petite hound!I think they're pretty unique-you sure don't see them very often) What a doll!

·
Registered
163 Posts
She could just be a product of breeding smaller and smaller Bassets. Or the runt of one of those litters. But the face and paws yell Basset Hound to me. So adorable!
I would say just keep an eye on the bones and make sure the vet always checks her over in case, due to poor breeding resulting in a very small size, she ends up having bone issues.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
When Barney was 4 months old, a gentleman stopped by with his 11 year old basset.....Barney was quite a bit bigger which puzzled both of us....to be honest, it scared me. He's 55 pounds now at a year and keep thinking that if he was on the "tiny" side, I could move him out of the bed....She looks adorable though and as long as the vet's happy, I certainly would be too....

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
In January, I adopted a female basset who is on the petite side at only 30 lbs. We know nothing of Biscuit's history, but she is healthy and active and can run circles around her brother who outweighs her by 20 lbs. She does have a front leg we are going to have to get a brace for.

As long as the vet isn't concerned, then I wouldn't be either. And kudos to you for also adopting a rescue! :D

In the attached picture, Biscuit is on the left, Boomer on the right.

Attachments

·
Registered
790 Posts
She's beautiful and so long as she's healthy I'd be happy.

Monty is a hulking 75lbs and is in no way overweight, he's got a very nice figure. Bassets seem to come in all shapes and sizes :)

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
A lot of "petite" bassets from pet breeders tend to be not only smaller, but finer boned, tighter skin etc. Molly, however, has the proportions of a large size basset (at least in this picture), which makes me think she might be a "miniature".

·
Registered
15 Posts
The breeder that I bought Bertha from was also selling a litter of "miniature Bassets". Super cute, but a lot more expensive!

If I recall correctly, I think she said they had the same dad as Bertha, but a miniature mom.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
The more I find out about Bassets the more I start to think Molly is unusually small for an adult. She is a rescue, so I don't have very much information about her background. She only weighs 26 pounds, which is much less than what I read is the average, or what the weight of the girls some of you folks have. I thought she might need to put on some weight, but the vet says she is perfect. The vet thinks she is about 3 years old.

well I can tell you that I'm a pretty small one. about 33lbs.
my YOUNGER brother Charles is about fifty.
he's WAY bigger than me.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts

btw we kinda look alike...

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
I love the pic of the 2 snoozing together - Bassets are such cuddlebugs, aren't they?

Our Maddie weighs 50 pounds, but one of her brothers weighs 80. A second brother is skin and bones, and he probably weighs less than Maddie, in spite of being taller and heavier bones. One of her sisters is inches taller; the tallest in the litter of 6. These are purebred Bassets with papers too.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks everyone. I guess the bottom line is that she is healthy no matter her size. She has plenty of loose skin...she looks like she is wearing her mom's clothes and they are too big!

·
Registered
460 Posts
Thanks everyone. I guess the bottom line is that she is healthy no matter her size. She has plenty of loose skin...she looks like she is wearing her mom's clothes and they are too big!
:D
I always say that God gave our Emmy size L pajamas instead of M by mistake, she is so baggy.

My two girls weight around 60 lbs but I think I can't let them get much bigger

1 - 20 of 36 Posts