Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
as my name may suggest, i love my little drool monster, but my guests sometimes do not love the drool. roscoe has the most terrible combination of habits, he drools a lot, and loves to rest, and rub his jowls on your leg.
that said... does anyone know if this is normal? any way to slow it down, or stop it? it gets worse when he is exited, i mean it looks like he has a shoe in his mouth and the laces are sticking out of either side.
and when he flips his head around.....

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
It probably wouldn't hurt to have the vet check his mouth for possible dental issues or other problems.

Otherwise drool is just something you have to learn to love.

·
Registered
73 Posts
My basset only slobberered after she drank water. The rest of the time there was no drool the way you describe. No harm in taking him to a vet to get it checked out. I am sure Roscoe would enjoy the outing and attention that basset hounds command & receive wherever they go

·
Registered
129 Posts
My Porter drools a lot as well, especially when he is excited such as when there are new people around, food or just too much stimulation. I usually just have a piece of rag with me to wipe his mouth through out the day and it really helps to prevent drool on my furniture and the walls.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
How old is the drool monster? Lightning drools more the older he gets. Also, he had to have a molar taken out, so there's a breech in the drool dam. I just advise my guests not to wear black, and I hand them a towel for their laps when they arrive.

·
Registered
13,055 Posts
he had to have a molar taken out, so there's a breech in the drool dam
That was the case with toughy as well he was quite the drool slinger before but much more so after the tooth was removed.

he had quite the advocate (graphic designer) that kept working to get him on the cover of clean run but the editor refused because there was not a sign photo of him without drool somewhere on his head when running agility. Alas another deserving basset final ended up with a cover.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts