Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been a member for approx 1.5 yrs and have always been just a lurker. This is my first attempt at posting do please forgive me if I go a little long. I have owned dogs all my life but never had a bassett before. We rescued our sweet girl from the local pound when she only had about 3 days left. She had been picked up as a stray so I have no prior information on her. She appears to be a pure bred and was estimated at 2 yrs old when we got her. That indicates that she is a little over 3 now. I found this site in my quest for knowledge of the breed. Everything that I know and have learned since is due to the great people on this site. She weighs 45 lbs at the vet's insistence. Left to our own determinations I am certain she would be overweight and not as active and healthy as she is.
Now on to the problem. She is completely housetrained and crate trained. She is taken outside on a fairly regular schedule unless she asks to go out before. Suddenly late yesterday when she was out to do her business, She peed like 5 times. She never does this. Again this morning she did the same thing. No problem overnight in her crate. Again I stress that she never does this. She does her business and then wants to go back inside where she reigns as queen of all that she surveys. About an hour after coming in she was whining to go back out. We ignored her so she went out of our sight and peed by the back door. (stupid humans, I tried to tell you!) So now I'm thinking bladder infection? Is this a serious condition or treatable without going to the vet? Like every one else these days money is tight but I absolutely want to do the right thing for my girl. That is why I have come to the most knowledgable and caring people I know of. Thank you in advance

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
She needs to go to the vet. If it's a bladder infection, it's probably very painful. In addition, they can be hard to treat, so the sooner you start treating it, the better.

A bladder infection is one of those things you really need to spend the money for.

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
Sounds like Sadie got very lucky to be adopted by your family! :) I agree that a vet visit is indicated. Untreated, a bladder infection can spread upwards to the kidneys, possibly causing kidney damage or more generalized infection, even more expensive to treat. :eek: Sooner treated, the better, whatever the problem ends up being. Good luck, hope Sadie feels better soon, and please let us know how she's doing. :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sounds like Sadie got very lucky to be adopted by your family! :) I agree that a vet visit is indicated. Untreated, a bladder infection can spread upwards to the kidneys, possibly causing kidney damage or more generalized infection, even more expensive to treat. :eek: Sooner treated, the better, whatever the problem ends up being. Good luck, hope Sadie feels better soon, and please let us know how she's doing. :)[/b]
OK, I am officially confused.This evening when she went out it was back to normal. Picked her spot, did her business and then started looking for the cat so she could play with him. So I guess I will continue to monitor closely and head for the vet at the first sign of trouble. Thank You all so much.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
FWIW Mariah.female marks as much as any male that I have ever had the only difference is she doesn't lift her leg and she has not connected that where she smell is two feet from where she pee's :rolleyes:

SO not all mulitple pee senarioa are because of an infection but any sudden change in behavior does warrant a check up even it it sem to resolve itself

1 - 5 of 5 Posts