Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks,
I am a novice basset owner and I've got an 8month old beautiful basset called Sheldon, my problem is he seems to poop tooooo much :) sometimes up to 5/6 times a day sometimes the usual and sometimes very runny (sorry about the graphic details) He has been wormed and I've changed his food to whats described as one of the best on the market. Any advice would be very welcome.

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
What food are you using?

·
Registered
251 Posts
Have you had a fecal done at the Vet? I'm curious too as to what food you are feeding. Years ago I fed my Basset (ATB) Hills Science Diet. She was pooping 6 times a day. Her Vet said she was not a fan of Hills for dogs as it caused high volume of stool?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies, he was on hill's science too and he was worse he is now on an Irish brand called Redmills Leader puppy it's first ingredient listed is a minimum of 30% dehydrated chicken and the rest is the usual stuff

·
Registered
562 Posts
Well if he's 8 months that means you've probably had him since he was around 2 months. I know Rosco had to poop all the time as a pup. Also how often have you changed his diet? That always seemed to make him have to go more often and change the consistency of things.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I actually only have him three weeks and to be honest I don't think the previous owner treated him too well he claimed sheldons favourite food was tomato sauce and frankfurters:eek:

·
Registered
116 Posts
When my pup Ninja was excessively pooping out soft-serve, the vet did a fecal and discovered giardia. After treating her for it twice, she's not pooping as frequently, but her 'presents' are still pretty soft.

Sheldon is a cutie!

·
Registered
47 Posts
My Josie was pooping about 5-6 times a day and having diarrhea very often. We tried a fish based diet thinking she was maybe allergic to chicken...

When we were feeding her a fish and vegetable based diet, she stopped with the diarrhea but still pooped alot. It was recommened to us that maybe that was too high fiber of a diet for a pup.

Now we feed her lamb and brown rice and her pooping is down to between 3-4 a day. Once first thing in the AM. Once after breakfast, once mid day, and once after dinner, give or take.

She's a pooper! But she's only 9 months old. So it's getting better.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts