Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Daisy for some reason in the past few days has continuously been licking her behind. I've noticed that is it more than normal, and that near the opening it seems to be a little pinker/red-er than (I think) is normal. She's been going the bathroom fine, and it doesn't seem like it's bothering her too terribly. She does randomly sit down and want to lick though. I'm pretty sure worms aren't the problem, I've also read something about cleaning her "system" out, but read that could only have to do with toy dogs, and Daisy is not a toy dog. I gave her a bath yesterday, and made sure to really try and clean that area well, it seemed to help a bit, but she's back at it today. Any advice would help, I've tried researching, but the same thing just keeps coming up... Thanks for any feedback I can get!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ours had the same problem. We took him to the vets and they gave us some mild steroids to give him daily. After several days the red/pink cleared right up. It did however come back again a few weeks later but not quite as bad. We spoke to the vet again and he suggested we use medicated shampoo on him for several weeks. We did all this and the problem hasn't returned in over 6 months now.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
It is not unusual for dogs with inpacted anal gland to do this instead of the more typical butt scoot but it often involve a bit of chewing not just licking at the area.

MORE THAN YOU EVER WANTED TO KNOW ABOUT ANAL SACS
OR WHY IS MY PET SCOOTING?

Domestic animals have largely lost their ability to empty these sacs voluntarily. Walking around and normal defecation serves to empty the glands but some animals become unable to empty their glands on their own at all. The sacs become impacted and uncomfortable. Dogs with impacted anal sacs usually scoot their rear on the ground in an attempt to empty the glands. Some dogs will lick their anal area and other dogs will chase their tails. Cats often lick the fur off just under their tails.

·
Registered
2 Posts
How old is Daisy? I just wanted to throw this out there...........could she be coming into heat? They tend to lick a LOT during this time.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Daisy is almost 10 months, and she's fixed...So, that hopefully isn't the problem...ha.

but thanks for all the feedback! I plan on taking her to the vet here soon, the licking hasn't gotten worse, but it's gotten a little better. Although, she still is doing it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts