Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 17 week old Basset pup Remus. Tonight I noticed he was drooling excessively while sleeping. I’m talking pools of drool on the blanket he was laying on and his body where he was curled up. I normally wouldn’t be alarmed because drooling is common with the breed, but this is the first night anything like this has happened and I’m wondering what could be causing it. Any help would be appreciate

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Drooling - not to THAT extent I'd suggest without there being something abnormal going on. Have you had a look inside his mouth, especially at the roof of his mouth in case he has something stuck up there? Teething might be involved. I think, unless you can see something that could be causing this, a trip to the vet might be called for. Is he pawing at his mouth?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I checked his mouth this morning and it didn’t look like anything was stuck, but he drooled through the blanket and the crate pad and the bottom of the crate was wet. He has not been pawing at his face either

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
*UPDATE* called the vet this morning and they believe it could be one of a few things. Since he isn’t acting abnormally outside of the drooling. Teething could be causing it or he got into something that is affecting him or he could be dreaming about food, causing him to drool (funny, but with bassets could be true). The vet said to monitor him over the next few days and if nothing changes to bring him in.

·
Super Moderator
5,034 Posts
Teething was my first thought.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts