Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you make this decision? Our bassett/lab mix is now 11 yrs old and has been diagnosed with diabetes, a heart murmer and possibly Cushings disease also.

His arthritis is pretty bad & he's thirsty alot. He has lost some weight, is having bladder control failures and has slowed down dramatically in just the last 2 weeks. He doesn't seem to be in pain except when he tries to climb stairs or get up off the floor. We see a sadness in his eyes that may just be a reflection of our own, but he still wags his tail to greet us.

The costs and energy involved in testing & treatments we are facing is substantial and we are trying to weigh that with his life expectancy. Unfortunately money is an issue and so is our irregular work schedule. Any advice would be appreciated.

T

·
0 Posts
Take a look at the thread below called "Good Old Quigley." It has lots of different viewpoints. In the end, its a decision only you can make, but if its the best thing for you and your dog, then you have to do what your conscience tells you and don't feel guilty about it. Letting a trusted family pet go after so many great years is going to be a hard decision no matter what and no matter the reasons. Good luck with your decision. I hope the thread and the replies you get here will help you.

Janet 'n Twink

A

·
0 Posts
I always think that the people who write with such painful and wrenching questions obviously care deeply for their pets. It sounds like any decision you make will have your dog's best interests at heart. I'll be praying for you.

A

·
0 Posts
My thoughts are with you. My dog passed in july he wss 13 1/2 and just failing. I was giving him some supplements for urine leakage that worked/ he was not suffering my vet was great he knew he wsn't suffering, he had trouble getting up, i was carryoing him upstairs i didn't do any testing or procedures The only money i spent was for supplements and trying to find something he would eat. I felt while he was determined to be here i wasn't going to put him down Only youknow when it is time Let me say, when the time came, i had the vet come to my house It was very peaceful, and not stressful
Sending prayers your way i know what a hard time this is for you. All i can say, was by the time i finally did it i had no regrets about the timing or anything eldse i could have done for him This board was very supportive god bless

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
:) Sorry you are facing this most difficult decision but even more difficult is to see our long time companion in suffering and in pain.

Talk to your veterinarian about the facts then listen to your heart. I found this article to be in good taste with a lot of helpful information on making the decision on when to euthanize a pet. Making the Difficult Decison

Will be thinking of you and your beloved basset/lab hound.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you all so much for your support and advice. I think we just aren't ready to let him go. If his pain was more evident, that would be another story. We are going to try to keep him comfortable for now and try to learn more about the treatment possibilities available within our means. Magic thanks you, too.

A

·
0 Posts
I have had to have 2 dogs put down. It is very sad but you will know when the time comes. I remember struggling the night before but the next day when I saw my pet I knew. Good luck to you. yvonne

1 - 7 of 7 Posts