Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(DISCLAIMER) Ok folks,this may be disturbing to young viewers. Here she is in all her glory. How's this for upside down.

Attachments

·
Registered
761 Posts
Oh my goodness Miss Esa! What a tummy full of puppies you have! She's enormous! Any indication on how many she'll have? Or are all pregnant mommas this big? I have absolutely no experience with pregnant dogs obviously.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm thinking at this point there could be 6 to 8 baby bassets.There are two horns of a dogs uterus that the eggs attatch to ,so generally, if say three are seen on an x-ray then there could be six. I have not had her x-rayed and as long as normal stays normal she will not need to be, but once she is done whelping the puppies I may have the vet x-ray her then to be positive they are all out,along with a shot of oxytocin. She is a long girl and could have one or two up under her rib cage. Which would then add up to ten(OMG). She will be in first stage labor when her temperature falls below 99.9 she will shiver as if she is cold, she will start to nest(she'll have the erge to dig) then pups are usually expected about 24 hours later. 2nd stage is when the contractions start and she gets serious about, "Push em' Out, Shove em Out,RAH,RAH,RAH."

·
Registered
86 Posts
Oh my Esa! what a big momma belly you have there!
People think I'm crazy, but I sooo want to breed bassets. Growing up my parents never allowed us to have pets, but my best friend's mom bred and showed poodles. I had the awesome experience of watching a couple of births and helping with the pups.
Now that we have a basset and I know I will never have another breed of dog, I am seriously revisiting that childhood desire to breed and show dogs. Hmmm... lots to learn.

Good luck Miss Esa! I'm excited to see some puppy pictures soon! :)

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I hope most of you on here know I would never go into this lightly because so much can happen and I would never want to put one of my dogs at risk for anything but it comes with the territory when you choose to breed. I've been taking her temp all night at different intervels this morning about 11:15 (est) she was 98.8 and the last time was 98.2 so 1st stage labor is starting,panting ,shivering.I'm thinking this evening will be load em'and drop'em time.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Geekerbell there are alot of basset breeders in texas that could help you if you really would like to show and breed.Sharon Nance is one.Look her up on the BHCA website under BoBac Bassets.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
There were three breedings done with Esa so depending on which breeding took she actually still could have a few more days but if she should start pushing then we are rollin'

·
Registered
86 Posts
Geekerbell there are alot of basset breeders in texas that could help you if you really would like to show and breed.Sharon Nance is one.Look her up on the BHCA website under BoBac Bassets.
Thanks, I will do that soon. Like I said, I know there is a lot to learn and I certainly will not go into it blindly.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts