Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The babies are eating so I have a few seconds for an update.Let me just say the first week would not have been so bad if the stupid sciatica had let up but it didn't. Esa began labor on May 9th(1st stage) temp 98.8. Water didn't break till morning of may 10th,for those who do not know each puppy has its own water sac,so a puppy should have been emanate. Esa yelped when the sac broke ,which is not normal,I checked the canal and no puppy was presant.I waited a couple more hours and nothing.I checked the canal again ,nothing,so I called the vet told her my daughter would be bringing Esa in and she would probably need a c-section.My daughter was working and came to get Esa as soon as she got off.I couldn't drive. They gave her oxtocine and she contracted enough for the assistant to feel a pup in the canal,they expected a dead puppy as did I,once the water breaks you only have so long to get them out. My daughter said Esa was screaming the whole time while they retrevied the pup(not normal)They revived the pup and went on to do a c-section,ummm $1350.00.Yeah ,well,what are you going to do. So we have 8 healthy puppies and a healthy Esa which is what is important. So started the week from hell. I slept(and still sleep) on the sofa to be beside Esa and the pups.Some may not know that you have to be sure the Dam doesn't step or lay on them because they will and that Mom cleans all the "nether regions" because being born c-section it passes up some of the natural ways the Dam bonds with the puppies, ie: opening the sacs and eating the afterbiths, licking them to make them deficate and if she doesn't do it you have to use a cotton ball and rub their little bitty parts so they go potty. After the first week Esa is getting into that Esa has poopie and pee pee breath now. Esa also got snappy with the pups if they crawled up beside her head (who knows why)so I had to be there to remove the baby so it didn't go further. Week two I still hold most of the babies up for Esa to clean till I'm sure she has the hang of it . Last week I would make her lie down then put the babies on her to drink.This week she gets in with them and I have to count the bodies so she isn't laying on one.Every time no exceptions. So anyone thinking raising a litter of anything is easy most times it is not.If you have a bitch that does it all, great, but that is hardly ever the case.

Attachments

·
Registered
209 Posts
Awwwh, thanks for sharing the pics Bubbad. Hopefully smooth sailing from now on!

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Congrats, and thanks for sharing the pictures! She sure does look tired after that rough delivery and recovery.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
What wonderful pictures! What a lot of work for you (and Esa)...

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The coloring is crazy ,many of them will look like their mother,with more brown than black.

·
Registered
878 Posts
How utterley GORGEOUS... and I hope that everything continues to progress really well... as we can see, it isn't an easy job!

Last year a friend of mine's Bassset bitch had 12 puppies and they all survived and grew into big strong adults, with the help of my friend who helped feed pups every two hours as it was too much for mum to do on her own.

·
Registered
972 Posts
So will Esa ever really learn to take care of them herself? I don't know if this was her first litter (i'm assuming) but if she has another it will also have to be by C-section, right? Is it safe to breed her again if that's the case? Probably not cost effective at least, maybe...lol
I remember this a little bit from when I was a kid...my parents bred beagles. But out bitch was always such an amazing mama...and of course beagles don't truly have that tendency to lay on their pups so she had a bit more freedom (although I don't know i was like 6 lol)
I remember the first birth though.
I would love to breed bassets one day. I'm so in love with the breed now, and really having Bowser has opened my eyes a lot to the difficulties, genetics, and pleasures of them!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts