Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We had tickets to a music festival in Vancouver and finally decided that is was okay for both of us to go. Since we have had Ernest, we have been tag team travelling - most of it has been for work. We used a dog trainer/sitter who does agility (no, ernest did not have to do that), but it was a great experience.

Usually, we have a in- housesitter, but since Ernest needs someone to let him out more frequently, we decided to take him somewhere.

She had a really nice set up and a great backyard and good place for him to land. While he was there, she worked on stopping him from bolting through the door ahead of us and taught him a few manners. She showed us how to keep up with the training, which was great to see. He seemed to have survived the experience and she said she would have him back, which was a relief.

We both have a work trip in August to San Diego, we were going to take Ernest with us, but decided it was too much and too hot, so we're going to drive him to see his sister and the rest of his posse including his beloved sheep in Goldendale. Ditto when we go on a driving vacation to the southwest in September.

How do most of you handle traveling when you can't take the dog? Do you get dog sitters or take you pups to a kennel?

lala

H

·
0 Posts
We found this great kennel - Bed and Biscuit . They have piped in classical music in each kennel, climate control and air filters, they take them for group play time and nature walks. They also get a clean blanket every morning and water is changed 3x's a day. They have breakfast at 8:30 and dinner at 5:30. Now that I'm typing this I'm thinking that maybe I'll go there for my vacation!! Naw.....too expensive! I leave 3 dogs there every time I go away for an extended period. They come home smelling nice and clean, as does their beds, and I leave there broke! Oh well......at least they're safe and happy! :lol:

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
We're lucky to be associated with a college- we have a student come and live in the house while we're gone if it's impossible to take the dogs. The student loves it because the amenities are much better than a dorm, and it's great for us too because we have someone to keep an eye on the property while we're gone.
That being said, I hate to leave them, and 9 times out of 10 they come with us. We've never had a problem finding pet friendly accomodations (Google will yield some good sites for hotels, etc.), and our dogs are veteren travelers now. I always bring plenty of water in the car, their vet records, their bell for motel room doors, and their own bedding.They wear ID at all times. Keeping them to the same routine we have at home helps them to adjust.
Hope something I wrote helps-

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
We have a college age sitter at the house too- We've known her since third grade though, so our doigs are quite comfortable with her. She also comes by and checks on the dogs on days I have to work long. I'll be so sad when she "grows up" and move away!

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
We take our two dogs on lots of trips--they love it, and are trained to stay quietly in their crates when we are not around. However, when we can't take them, we have housesitters who stay the night. For the most part, they are gone during the day (but so are we). They sleep over, give the dogs and kitties their morning and evening meals and meds, bring in the mail and papers and put the garbage out. I've been very happy with the arrangement 95% of the time. We've found them various ways. The first one was through a local paper (one of those small ones that goes out to a limited community). We've found the others through referrals from the first one, mostly (she left town ages ago). We've also picked up leads from local vets offices who will recommend people. We always interview them first, and ask for references. We've found the best bets are people who live fairly close--one bad experience was when we had to leave a conference early because the sitter had car trouble and didn't want to drive from her house in San Francisco to our house (about 25 miles). It's also important, I think, to find someone who does pet sitting for a living, rather than because they 'love your dog'. Another so-so experience was when we had a couple agree to sit because one of them grew up with Basset Hounds, and loved them. However, she ended up needing minor surgery, and her partner didn't want to be bothered on up holding the commitment. (I did guilt her out, however, so she followed through). But the bad experiences are in the minority.
Sharon Hall

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Travel? We don't... we're homebodies. We house and dog sit for my friend a few houses down who currently has only three Bassets. It's a pleasure to hang out at her house with her much younger dogs. My Moe is getting older and between his age and the heat he barely moves. My friend's Bassets are all three years old and still have enough puppy-energy left to be VERY entertaining, but they are old enough that they don't need CONSTANT watching. That means there's enough time to enjoy her gardens and pond while we are there... 8)

Terry

1 - 7 of 7 Posts