Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems like most people enjoy the basset howl; but it is rare. Does anybody know of a way to encourage it?

I'm thinking I would just sit in front of a puppy and howl like an idiot. Then reward with treats if it happens.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Be very careful what you wish for. My Copper howls alot and while I do love to hear it most of the time it is not nearly as cute at 2 am while he is standing at the foot of the bed. My Patty has started to howl also but she usually sleep through the night.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Murray has never howled.

Last year when I went to pick him up at our vets after a minor procedure, I heard a huge racket in the kennel. Our vet decided that he wanted to hear Murray howl, so he stood in front of his run and howled at him. Every dog in the place started barking and howling except for Murray (Mr. Mellow) who just sat there quietly and gazed at him like he was crazy.

I would guess a tendency to be vocal just depends on your dogs personality (be careful what you wish for!!)

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
:( Sad to say we are still waiting to hear Bogie Carter howl. We loved to hear Bubba howl and his mouth would make a perfect "O" when he did. It cracked us up to see him throw his head back and give that wonderful howl. :(

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Lightning never aroooed until I got Stomps, who is a natural singer. Even now, Lightning will usually only sing at night, and Stomps has to start it. I can get Stomps to aroo if I sing a song off-key (luckily that's the only way I CAN sing). He'll happily join in, and sometimes Lightning will too. It's the funniest thing in the world. Our next door neighbors have a dog who howls, and he'll often come over in the middle of the night and get my two going. That's not so funny, but I have to say they make a good trio.

·
Registered
775 Posts
We haven't heard a howl from Rusty or Stickers yet! I've tried singing, howling myself and they just sit there are stare at me like I've lost my mind! They don't bark either, only if the doorbell rings. They "talk" alot between themselves but otherwise are very quiet. Maggie Mae loved the sound of her voice. She howled everyday for some reason :)

·
Registered
866 Posts
I don't think there's any sound more lovely than a basset's howl. Tess is my howler and she's managed to convince Hugh of it's importance; she used to be the one to tune up first, but lately, he's taken the lead and started it himself... :D It usually starts around 6:30 every morning when our neighbor walks her westie... :rolleyes: I'm just glad we don't have very close neighbors, otherwise I might have to rethink just how neat I think it is, but I love to watch them throw their heads back...nose pointed straight up and give the arrrroooooo!

My Dad was a fox hunter and when I was a young child, he took me with him a couple of times. He loved to hear the dogs run and he knew each of their sounds...I just couldn't understand what there was about it that intrigued him so. I guess it took awhile for me to appreciate it... :)

·
Registered
72 Posts
To get Turbo to howl we howled at her, and we have done that to her since she was a weee little pup like 6-7 weeks old, and she loves to howl she is a howling feen, it may be annoying to some but it gets me cracking up everytime, I love when she howls she makes the funniest face.

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
it is not nearly as cute at 2 am while he is standing at the foot of the bed.[/b]
:lol:

Buffet has been our self-appointed rooster in a basset suit ever since we brought her home in '97. :blink: 4 a.m. every morning. It starts out low, like cattle lowing, and escalates inexorably to full-throated baying. I'm amazed our neighbors don't hear--thank goodness, I suppose. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Moe only howls sporadically and has taught Tally to howl, too. Sometimes they howl at school busses or big trucks, and on occasion for no reason at all that I can tell. My friend's Little Zelda is VERY vocal but she almost never barks - she's 100% howler! I can often hear her howling throughout the day (they live 1500' through the woods from our house). When we hear her she is usually accompanied by her two companion's barking. She has a loud, deep, melodious voice for a small girl - and she likes to use it. :)

·
Registered
33 Posts
My girls and I have a tradition that we do every day when I get home from work. Once I get changed and sit down in my recliner to relax I make HO-HO-HO sounds (like santa) and they come running and jump up in my lap. Then after a few more HO-HO-HO's I start howling. The girls throw thier heads up to the sky and howl like mad dogs. We do this for about 30 seconds (or until my wife gets mad and tells all 3 of us to shut-up).
Maybe a little wierd, but the girls know that this is thier short time every day to welcome me home and howl and get belly rubs. They do not howl except for when I start it, But watch out when they see a rabbit outside the window.....they lose thier minds and bark like crazy.

·
Registered
196 Posts
We've only heard Hub howl, once or twice, while he was sleeping. It was a crack up!

As much as we would love to hear him while he's awake, we also don't want to be sorry about what we wish for.

Ohdee has never howled, either. But, oh boy, can she bark up a storm!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Pearl howls at various times but if I howl at her she is guaranteed to howl right back at me. It never fails. Just ask the neighbours :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts