Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Eleanor is doing great..about 12 weeks old now. She's letting us know when she has to go outside and she makes it through the night without barking/crying/peeing.

One thing we've had trouble with is her barking. She barks when we tell her no (and usually resumes chewing on the furtinure that prompted the "no"). She barks when we aren't looking directly at her or go into a room with a closed door. She even barks as a reponse to use telling her to stop barking!

We've tried the various methods mentioned on this board, including the 'give a treat/praise quiet', the spray bottle, and ignoring her, but none seem to work. She even seems to like the spray bottle!

Any suggestions? do they grow out of barking or do we need to really try to stop it now? How long should we keep trying a particular method before we give up?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
I don't have any helpful advice with the barking, but I do want to tell you that Eleanor is beautiful! I love that first pic of her. She'll break a lot of hearts as she grows up.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
After 6 months of Minna the rescue doxie yapping her head off and me trying everything without any results I FOUND SOMETHING THAT WORKS!! I was watching the Dog Whisperer (National Geographic Channel) a few weeks ago and saw him deal with a yapping Yorkie: he put her on a slip leash, kept her close to his leg- when she started yapping, he did a correction by giving a sharp tug and a sharp verbal correction.(I used 'hush' with Minna).Be sure to praise when she responds. I worked with her like this over my Christmas break- I kept her with me leashed most of the time, and did a correction as needed. She's got her freedom again and is not yapping now- if she starts I just use the verbal correction- she stops and I praise her. Anyway, Caesar Milan (the Dog Whisperer) is now my hero, I think he really did save my sanity. This has really worked for me, it might be worth a try-

[ January 06, 2006, 03:16 PM: Message edited by: murraysmom ]

B

·
0 Posts
When Byron barks, we ignore him completely (we don't look at him and we walk away). It is hard, especially at night when we want peace. We also have an emty soda bottle with a few coins in it; if he barks we shake the bottle and it startles him into quiet.

A

·
0 Posts
Ruby and I are partial to the ones mostly black so we think she's gorgeous.

We took a clean empty soup can, added 4 pennies and taped up the top.

Every time she's do whatever we didn't want her to do, we'd shake the can and say, "NO!"

It only took about a couple of days that we'd only pick up the can and then she'd stop. We were carrying that can all over the place; it has to be handy for this to work.

Later on, we'd just say "NOooooo" when we wanted her to stop doing whatever and she would.

She's pretty funny tho. When she starts scratching a lot it's because she needs a bath. Last year she was scratching a lot and I kept telling her NO. Finally she went into the other room. I went looking to see where she was and she was trying to hide behind one of the pillars in our front entryway. She gave me a guilty look, hid the front half of her body and the back half was sticking out (guess she didn't think I could see it). It was hilarous.

:D

A

·
0 Posts
What a pretty girl! Can't help with barking but she is really pretty! yvonne

A

·
0 Posts
ditto here. Can't help with barking issue. Just wanted to let U know Eleanor is BEAUTIFUL!!!!!! Happy to be a slave to Tummy Boy

·
Registered
56 Posts
What a sweet face!!

I also use a can of pennies, for just about any bad behavior. It's pretty effective.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
see Barking

and Barking

Pay attention to the section on request Barking. Often referred to as a attention seeking behavior. As noted when trying to end such a behavior before the behavior is ended their is often a An Extinction Burst which if not ignore or successfully dealt with actual strengthens the behavior.

Often times with such behavavior rather than try and end them it is much better to manage then. One major reason is even if you end the barking the dogs needs have not changed. It still wants your attention. As annoying as barking is it could be replaced by something even worse.

some Ideas on managing a puppy to prevent the problem in the first place.

Managing your Dog's Behavior

harmony Proggrame

Attention Seeking Behavior

and some specifics

Kong Stuffing Pointers

tug of war

Guidelines for TEACHING SELF CONTROL

·
Registered
116 Posts
I'm a crappy advice-giver.....but I just wanted to say that Eleanor is TOO CUTE!!! :D :D

A

·
0 Posts
Aww, bless, she's adorable. I can sympathize with you, as Jasmine is quite a barker as well. I'm not sure what other's will think of this, but after everything we'd tried failed, we finally started searching for an anti-bark collar. We wanted a humane option though, so we bought one from Aboistop that simply gives her a spray of citronella every time she barks. It has been amazingly effective, as it worked as soon as we put it on her. Don't get me wrong, we don't leave it on her at all times. I accept that she's a dog, and dogs bark, and I even encourage it from her when we're playing, but it allows for a much calmer and happier home life during the times when she just won't seem to be quiet.

A

·
0 Posts
Eleanor is adorable! I'm lucky with my 2 bassets they aren't too big of barkers. But my neighbor who has a mutt dog barks a lot. She did this clicker training. They weren't really good about following through with it, but it did work to an extent. He is better now. Just and idea she got it off the internet and it came with a book too.

About the chewing. Mollie who is 8 months chews everything still. I just try very hard to keep a lot of chew bones for her and differnt kinds. She likes to switch around what she chews and I guess differnt chew bones taste differently. I have no idea, but it has helped. I just chalk it all up as Mollie redecorating my house to her liking. If I don't laugh at it, I might really just go nuts! Mollie has eatten the siding on our house,kitchen wall,kitchen baseboard, kitchen chairs and numerous other things my kids leave out. The chewing thing takes a while for them to get over it.

Good luck with your cute little girl!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Likewise on not having much advice to offer but thought it was funny that you mentioned Elanor actually liking the squirt bottle...my Dinah seems to love it! I guess she thinks it's her own personal water delivery system or something? I have heard to try lemon juice instead but that just seems borderline mean...

Melanie

1 - 19 of 19 Posts