Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry it has been awhile. We've been working this summer and haven't had as much time to post/read the forums.

Eleanor and I were playing in the back yard this morning. She loves to sprint around and bark while I pretend like I'm chasing her. She made a cut to turn right and yelped, stopped running and started limping. We brought her in and she tried to walk but fell over.

The vet said that it didn't look like she fractured anything or tore any tendons. Rather, she "compressed" some bones in her back right leg. They are putting a splint on her and we're going to go pick her up this afternoon.

The vet said she can't play that much for about 4 weeks. We're going out to get her treats and toys.

Does anyone have any advice for how to help her get better over the next month? and how to get her energy out (she's only about 9 months old and still loves playing and taking walks) without interupting the healing process?

Thanks!

Eleanor's Humans

·
Registered
662 Posts
Eep! I'm sorry, I don't have any particular experience with this type of thing... but Mocha and Beldin (and I) hope she heals up good as new in no time.

Beldin says Eleanor deserves cheese! :)

·
Registered
775 Posts
We all hope she is better soon. I am sure she will take full advantage of the sympaty she is getting. Give her an extra hug from us.

Karen and the gang

·
Registered
284 Posts
Sorry that happened to Eleanor :(
The only option I can think of is more walks. I had a horse who hurt a leg and I had to walk him A LOT! He was a youngster at the time and didn't take to it very well. If walks are out then chew toys might help.

Lou

·
Registered
51 Posts
Poor girl :( What about chew toys? When our dogs get too excited in the house, we give them raw hides or squeaky toys. They can chew for over an hour and then they take a nap afterwards. If you don't want to give her too many raw hides, you can try femur bones. Our dogs can work on those for weeks before they ever start to break apart. Also, we find they get more interested if we take the items away between chew times and then give them back like they are a brand new treat. Good luck.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Ask your vet if there any safe activities you can do with her when she comes home. Otherwise you may be in for a tough job in keeping her subdued so her injury can heal. The pain of the injury may help discourage her from doing too much. Once, our Tally got a muscle injury jumping from the couch. She was very pitiful in her suffering. I asked the vet about pain meds and she advised against them. If it hurts to use the injured limb, a dog is more likely to give it a rest. If the pain goes away the dog will act as if there is no injury and possibly make it worse, or at least prevent it from healing. Obviously, serious pain should be relieved but minor to moderate pain may help her to rest when she should. Divert her attention with stuffed kongs, long-lasting cheweys, and lots of TLC. If necessary, (and if your vet advises it) crate her or otherwise confine her several times a day to force her to rest. Think of it as 'quiet time' for her.

It's very tough to do what's best for a pet (or a very young child) but it is necessary. It'll be harder on you than on her...

Terry

1 - 9 of 9 Posts