Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So we finally had to try an exclusion diet to try and get a handle on Sally's allergies. This means no more bully sticks, lamb's ears, flossies, etc...........only the prescription food for 2 months at least. She and Daisy were going nuts without having anything to chew on, so we bought a Nylabone. I never met a dog who liked the things, but I figured no harm in trying. Well, they both acted offended when I handed it to them....it laid around the office for a few days. I came home from work yesterday and smelled poop - if they go in the house it's usually on the bathroom rug. Wrong! Someone had pooped ON the Nylabone. I am not making this up. Neither of them have ever pooped in the office before. Message received........... :blink: :blink:

·
Registered
79 Posts
Oh my gosh, that is s-o-o funny. I guess there is no doubt in your mind as to how they really feel about that fake stuff!!!
:p
Marie and Abby
Newton, KS

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
That's pretty funny! I went through the same diet thing with Spencer years ago to determine what he was allergic to. During that time, for treats, he got some of the food he was eating. He didn't seem to mind not getting a biscuit or something different, he just wanted a treat. Of course that doesn't help the desire to chew. Good luck, allergies are difficult to deal with, even after they are identified!

·
Registered
118 Posts
AmyB has a good point. Can you try to trick them & take some of the food & 'make' a treat out of it? You could crumble it up & add a little water, form a shape out of it & bake it on low to harden it? Just an idea, I've never tried that. Just seems that they want something even if it does taste like food!

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Marcia, I laughed OUT LOUD at what happened! Poop on the nylabone! I know, I shouldn't have laughed but it is sooooo funny! Not to clean up mind you. :p :lol:

I gave Ruby a nylabone when she was a puppy and she'd lick the flavor off and that was all she wanted to have of it. I haven't given one to her since.

Hope you find something for them to chew on. Do they like carrots? String beans? Ruby gets Royal Canin vet treats and vegies. She and I shared an apple this a.m. too.

Janice and Ruby

·
Registered
813 Posts
We feel your pain around here, I can tell you. Both the kids are on nothing but hypoallergenic food (though Gigi isn't allergic, she has to suffer along with George or I'd have a revolution on my hands) and they are NOT HAPPY about it. You'd swear I was starving them to death just to be mean. Never mind that Gigi is, well, filled out and George isn't far behind. They want their CHEESE! I'm hoping to see a difference in George's incessant itching soon so I can start reintroducing treats one at a time to pinpoint which thing is causing the itching, and then I can take THAT away and give them back everything else so they'll quit harrumphing all the time. So far we haven't had any editorial comments, however. :lol:

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We do give Sally & Daisy pieces of the prescription food - they love it. We call them cookies and they are just as good as any other treat. The problem is something hard to really gnaw on. Bully sticks were the only thing that ever lasted more than a day or so. Sally keeps scratching at the toy basket, hoping a bully stick is in there. No matter how many times I empty it out, she still keeps hoping..... <_< :rolleyes:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts