Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Most people say their basset hounds love food and they have to actually make sure they don't eat too fast. Mine actually has the opposite problem. She doesn't seem to eat a lot at all. Most times she doesn't even come close to finishing her bowl. With the seizure and all I have really been trying to get her to eat more just in case it will help. Well tonight she was doing her normal take a few bites and forget about it. I tried standing there to see if that would help but no. So as a final attempt I sat down and gave her some food out of my hand. She then proceeded to eat 90% of the bowl out of my hand. LOL. Not really a habit I want to start. Any idea why she would do this? Obviously she was hungry. She is quite clingy but you would think she can spare a few minutes from being thisclose to me to eat her dinner?!

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
I think with Addison's-- is that what she has?
if so, she could have been somewhat sick for awhile. electrolytes can be borderline and abnormal for sometime before it shows up clinically.

that's my first thought, that she may have been sick these past couple months (body not making enough cortisol). it's okay until there is a stress big enough and she needs that cortisol before there is a big crisis. but until then, i would think that she may have been a bit sickly... and would account for her appetite issues..

probably will get better as she gets better and healthier i would guess...
--Worm

·
Registered
972 Posts
bowser doesn't have addisons...he has spoiled brat-iddisons. When he doesn't really like the food he's given he does this. I finally got him on this new brand, simply nourish (lamb and oatmeal...he loves lamb) and he thinks it's gold so i FINALLY haven't had to feed him out of my hand to get the little brat to eat!
yes, i was doing it. He also throws up if he doesn't eat, so it was a matter of give in, or clean up barff *lol*

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
I think with Addison's-- is that what she has?
if so, she could have been somewhat sick for awhile. electrolytes can be borderline and abnormal for sometime before it shows up clinically.
When Molly's Addison's made itself known, it was through lack of appetite. She simply stopped eating. Nothing I gave her was appealing. Not boiled chicken, wet dog food...very unlike her to turn these things down. I thought she was a picky eater, but she isn't. It was just her electrolytes out of balance. Once she started feeling better, she started eating right. The Prednisone helps too...makes her hungry.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
putting medical issues aside a dog will not starve itself if food is available it will eventual eat. One of the problems I see in people have the wrong image in their head what the ideal weight for a basset is an most images of the ideal basset are actually an obese one. Read the following link and judge millie body condition via it also keep in mind even with chart most owners underestimate how overweight their dogs are so there is a bias on the part of most owners thing the dog is thiner than it really is.

Corpulent Canines?

So as a final attempt I sat down and gave her some food out of my hand. She then proceeded to eat 90% of the bowl out of my hand. LOL. Not really a habit I want to start. Any idea why she would do this? Obviously she was hungry
Um no eating out of you hand is no indication the dog was actual hungry The fact that you where giving it to her gives it added value like a treat. Think of going to granma for sunday dinner Every one is stuffed after the meal but how many get to walk away from the table without eating dessert.

Like I said above pertains to a healthy dog some times with a sick dog you just have to do whatever it takes to get food into the stomach., Sometimes it is hard to know which one you are dealing with but as long as the dog is of a health weight I would not worry to much. keeping in mind it is general bedt for the dog to be a bit underweight than a bit overweight.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts