Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bailey, our puppy, has a problem with eating her stools! It's pretty nasty and I was wondering if anyone had experience with deterring this behavior. I have heard about something that you can put in their food to make the stools taste bad but wasn't sure about getting it.

It's a pretty disgusting habit. How she still manages to have sweet puppy breath, I don't know! :oops:

·
Registered
109 Posts
Lisa- welcome to the basset puppy stages. Eeyore did the same thing.. I called the vet and he said it would stop.. he didtn offer a pill though.. I would try the pill !! Eeyore stopped after about 6 months old

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Good luck. Spencer is 10 years old & still does that sometimes. I have tried all the commercial remedies as well as sprinkling the poo with hot sauce & then letting him eat it. Nothing worked. He seems to get into moods were he goes through a period of time when he does it & then stops for a long time before doing it again. When he is in that mode, I jst keep the yard as clean as possible (and look the other way alot) ;)

M

·
0 Posts
Maggie Mae did that as a puppy. I would distract her after doing her business and sneak up and spray the poop with Bitter Apple. She HATED it! When she would lick it she would taste the Bitter Apple. Works great!

·
Registered
511 Posts
I wonder if it has anything to do with what they eat to begin with. Mine never did it before, until someone gave me an off brand dog food that their dog wouldn't eat. Inturn mine couldn't get enough of it, because they would "re-eat" it.
They stopped when I ran out of that food, and have never did it since.

·
Registered
939 Posts
now your learning Dozer-Digger!!! feed a quality food that your dog will get the most out of so to speak and the problem will stop. i've been saying that for years and no one listens.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
pinehawk, Spencer has always eaten a premium dog food. It never mattered with him. But, I do think it does have to do with the food. Sadie was on a special prescription diet once, and he liked her poo especially well at that time. For Spencer anyway, it does not have to do with the quality of the food.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Ernest likes it too. Goose, sheep, racoon, dog, bird.

I hope he grows out of it.

We just keep an eye on him when we're in poop filled locations.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I feed them both Nutro. Also, its not so much that she eats her poop outside but eats it during the night when she poops in the kitchen. Blah!

Anyway, I stopped at my favorite store, Petsmart, and got a product called 4-In-1 Deodorizer which is supposed to stop stool eating, reduce breath and body odor, elimnate gas, and reduce stool and urine odor. Not that I'm putting much stock in all that, but we'll see. I figure I can give it to Shyla too since she smells pretty bad in this heat. (I miss the frito smell!)

·
Registered
939 Posts
it has to do with how much their bodies absorb and what they get rid of. the amount also comes into play to much food and it will pass and not get digested. i try to feed high protein 30% high fat 20%. Ike is 63 pounds and gets 2 to 2 1/2 cups during the summer because his activity level is low now,BUT he still has run of the yard and use of the dog pool.all the hounds have low stool volume and they are small and firm,that tells me it is going in getting used up and passing out without anything in there that they want to eat. now I've got to kick them out of the pool so i can get in!!!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts